Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    n8ters8er Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2007, 12:59 PM
    Toro Lawnmower Won't Start
    This lawn mower was given to me and it ran last year. I replaced the spark plug. Replaced the gas. Replaced the pin and the gaskets in the carb.

I'm getting spark from the plug. Its getting plenty of gas... maybe too much?? After several attempts at starting it I removed the plug and actually dumpedgas out of the spark plug. Still after all this it doesn't sound even close to starting. What's the next step I should take?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 12, 2007, 01:14 PM
    Did you replace all of that stuff trying to get it to start or did you do it after it was dead trying to fix it? Also please tell me the gap you set on the plug. Back to you.

Apr 12, 2007, 01:26 PM
    I replaced everything trying to get it to start. Didn't gap the plug because I was told that it comes pre-gapped. What's the gap supposed to be?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 13, 2007, 06:54 AM
    Plugs are pre-gapped but you should do it again before installing. They can get bumped around in shipping. I don't know your gap, varies from plg to plug, but your manual will spell it out. Any chance of talking to the previous owner to see if this is why it was given away? It might be helpful to see what the old owner did to the engine in his attempts to start it. Sounds like you are flooding.
    Thomas Mills Posts: 31, Reputation: 7

Apr 13, 2007, 07:27 AM
    Check if it is getting spark. Take the spark plug out, put it back in the ignition boot like it is hanging from the wire. Make sure the mower is in the on position. Ground the end of the sparkplug on the head of the engine. Just make sure that the end of the sparkplug is touching some part of the engine (metal). Pull the start cord you should see a blue spark in between the electrode. You may have to have someone hold the sparkplug while you pull the cord. If you get spark then it is a fuel problem. Then we can go from there! If no spark it is a bad coil or if it is a very old mower it could be points & condenser. Thomas

Apr 13, 2007, 01:52 PM
    Thanks for the suggestions. I checked the spark and it's there... the blue spark is visible. My dad was the previous owner and the mower WORKED great last summer (2006). The mower is about 3 years old. I stored it in my garage all winter long but I did not service it for the winter. The old gas was in the tank and the carb all winter long and I doubt if the fuel had any stablizer in it... I made the same mistake years ago with a chain saw of mine and it required a full carb. Kit. Do you think a full carb kit on the mower would solve my problem? Must be the time of year but I am getting zero help from any of the small engine repair shops in my area... they are all 3-4 weeks out... This is my first experience with internet message boards... thanks for the help!
    Thomas Mills Posts: 31, Reputation: 7

Apr 13, 2007, 10:09 PM
    Take the spark plug out and pour a small amount of fuel in the chamber see if it fires. Some times if you get it to fire & keep on primming the carb it might loosen up any dirt or bad fuel. Try this before you get a carb kit. Thomas
    fflipper22 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2013, 12:11 PM
    Might be the spark plugs

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Craftsman Riding Lawn Mower won't start [ 2 Answers ]

My tractor quit on me during my grass cutting. I have not been able to get it started. I've Changed the air filters, a new spark plug, a new solenoid, a new fuel filter, a new battery. When I put it on choke and try to start it, the engine turns but won't start. After that,all I hear is the...

My murray 11hp riding lawn mower will not start. [ 1 Answers ]

I have tried all I know to try and still my murray 11hp mower won't run. I need to know if there are any more fuses besides the one by the celenoid. I replaced the battery, starter switch, celanoid, sparkplug, and 15amp fuse by the celenoid. Are there any more fuses that I should look for? ...

Toro push lawn mower will not start [ 3 Answers ]

My Toro Lawn mower will not start. The starter cord will not pull. Please help! :mad:

Lawn chief mower won't start [ 3 Answers ]

Have a lawn chief mower that won't start. I think it is the ignition switch and not the connectors behind it. When I turned the key to run the light came on but wouldn't turn over like it did minutes before. I probably would have a hard time finding a replacement ignition switch. My question would...

Lawn mower won't start [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 1 yo Boland 4.5hp push mower. It's the cheapy. I changed the plug and it ran fine, cut the yard. The second cutting, it ran out of gas, I filled it, started it, and after 5 min it cut out and died. I ended up removing the top end cover, and cleaned all the grass and what not out. Put it...

View more questions Search