Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wQ6Cy2383 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2015, 12:54 AM
    Taxation in germany and USA with new spouse
    Hello,

I'm recently married (june 2015) and my spouse is both germany and american.

I am only american.

I was paid in USA and filed as single.

She made about 10K€ in germany before quiting her job to move with me.

Should we file as married in both places?
    We we be further taxed on my income in germany? She paid taxes in germany assuming she would work the whole year so I assume that since she was a resident for only 5 months it will be a bit different.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 11, 2015, 09:02 AM
    I can only address definitively about the U.S. tax return.

When you said "filed as single", I assume you mean you had taxes withheld at the SINGLE rate.

You have TWO filing choices: Married Filing Jointly and Married Filing Separately.

If you each file separately, you would each file a U.S. return reporting all world-wide income. Your wife ( who is required to file because she is an American citizen) would also file Form 1116 to claim the Foreign Tax Credit for the German taxes she paid. She may also be eligible to file Form 2555 to claim the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion.

If you file jointly, ALL world-wide income must be reported on the joint return, and the options for Forms 1116 and/or Form 2555 are also available.

I am not sure, but I believe that each individual must file their own tax return and the German tax will be imposed only on income earned while living IN Germany.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Treaty with germany and usa [ 2 Answers ]

A German citizen living in Germany no us citizenship, no presence in USA Received interest, dividends, American Social Security, and AT&T Us pension Through her deceased spouse who was a US citizen. I am filing her 1040Nr form because of the pension income. I realize interest and Soc Sec are...

Usa visa for spouse of indian working in usa [ 0 Answers ]

Dear, How to get visa for a BE girl who is going to marry an indian working in usa having Hib visa. Pl help and do the needful. Regards Sridhar

TAXATION annuities USA germany residence [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, My question is whether my German annuity which would be paid out completely tax free in Germany to a German resident, will be taxed in US if I retire in US as US resident? At the time of retirement I might be dual citizenship holder and could also spend some time in Germany if I have to in...

Travel from germany to usa [ 1 Answers ]

I am a 20 year old german girl who wants to travel to america for a vacation for a week or two. How to I get the needed passport in order to go, any help is much appreciated, thank you

View more questions Search