Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    janessasmom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2015, 07:27 PM
    How can I get my dog to stop messing in the house?
    We recently got an 11 month old mini pinscher. For the first 2 days he was OK, but since then he has started peeing and pooping in the house. We had already had a 3year old male pit and 8 week old male mini pinscher when bringing the newest into the pack. He has no problem with doing his business outside, but has no problem doing it inside either. It seems as though it's mistly marking his territory. He will pee and poop in the house. Can anyone offer any suggestions? I might add that neither of the other dogs are messing in the house anywhere. The 8 week old puppy is pee pee pad trained and we keep him in a different room from the others.
    help_her Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Jan 12, 2016, 06:01 AM
    Each dog is different and as long as there's no true medical issue, it could simply be a matter of training to his new home. I've found it quite helpful to integrate him into the pack which INCLUDES You! You are the pack leader. Take all of the dogs outside to do their biz. Keep him on a leash and only allow him to go where you allow which could be along the property line, etc. Do this multiple times per day on a fixed schedule. You can try treats but I haven't found that helpful over time for myself. This is a start, there's many other tactics, but I've found this works best for me.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 22, 2016, 07:20 PM
    Help her hit the nail on the head.

Age doesn't matter when it comes to potty training. At 11 months of age most people would expect a dog to be potty trained, but most aren't.

So you're training from square one. You have other dogs, dogs that are potty trained. How did you train them?

My method is observance, and reward. In other words, watch the dog, when he starts to pee or poo inside, a firm no, and even if he's mid poo or pee, pick him up, take him outside, and tell him to do his business. When he does, outside, then tons of praise, a treat, lots of "good dog".

If he makes in the house, then a firm no, and ignore him. Dogs are pack members. When the pack leader ignores them for bad behavior, it teaches them to do the behavior wanted.

No punishment ever. No sticking the dogs nose in his pee or poor. Big no no. It's about teaching him what you want from him. It takes patience, and a lot of time and effort. But isn't he worth it?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why is my dog messing in the house? [ 2 Answers ]

She is a 7.5-8 year old collie husky mix and the most wonderful dog I have ever known. We got her when she was 5 and never had problems with her until this last year she would potty in the house and occasionally pooh we switched foods. Problem solved. But within the last 2-3 months she's messing...

Why does my dog suddenly start messing in the house and family houses. [ 0 Answers ]

Hi I have a 3 year old siberian husky it's a ***** and she is not spayed either. All os sundden she has messed in my mother in laws house the last night in our house throu the night she has messed again. Hen we just took her out and she had a good run then we came home and she has pooed in the...

Dog suddenly messing in house? [ 2 Answers ]

So my almost 8 yr old lab mix has taken to messing in the house. It's only during the day if I leave for a few hours. I haven't worked for about a year so I'm usually always home unless I go out to run some errands. It is never more than a few hours and I let her out before I leave and...

How can I stop my dogs messing in the house? [ 1 Answers ]

I have two beagles, who will be 5 in January next year. Over the past few months they have started messing in the kitchen throughout the night, even though they have been taken out for a walk before bed. I know they can hold it, as sometimes they are left for 8-9 hours a day while I am at work...

Old Dog Won't Stop Messing In House [ 7 Answers ]

I have a Boxer that is about 11 years old. She is beginning ot have some obvious health problems, but I still think she's able to function and without pain. We have begun bringing her in the house since its colder weather and her back legs are starting to bother her. She has always been in the...

View more questions Search