Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jeanne07 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2007, 11:54 AM
    New Golden
    Hello, my boyfriend and I are getting a new golden retriever puppy in the next couple weeks. The breeder said that we can come and get her anytime after she is 7 weeks old. I have heard that taking a puppy from its mother in the 7th week can be bad. Should we wait until 8 weeks or is it okay to bring her home in the 7th week? Thanks!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2007, 12:10 PM
    No problem at 7 weeks. Some of my puppies including my 8 month old Lab, Holly were in my home by 45 days. If the breeder isn't doing much to socialize the puppies, 7 weeks is better than 8. Six to 12 weeks is a very important time for a puppy. You need to expose it to as many people and HEALTHY dogs as you can the first month you have it. Your puppy may or may not be safe if exposed to parvo. If the mother passed immunity on, the shots will not take until it wears off. After that, one shot, 2 weeks before being exposed to parvo, is all that is needed. The usual practice is to give a series of shots hoping to hit the window between the mother's immunity wearing off and being exposed to parvo. See Canine Parvovirus, What you should know about

There is a sticky at the top of the dog forum with much of what I have learned from the training and experience with our 17 puppies since 1992.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

9 month old Golden Retreiver [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 9 month old golden Retreiver that is a pretty much well behaved until I get him in the car. He them starts a high pitched bark and will viciously tear apart anything he can get his teeth on.. I have tried to correct this behavior but nothing works. He loves to go swimming but I can't take...

Golden just nibbles on food [ 1 Answers ]

Right now gus is getting over a eye infection (pink-eye) but for the past few days he just nibbles at his food, he still loves his treats and seems active... walking him taking him to the park playing fetch. I'm a little bit of a woor wort butany help would be appreciated. He is on antibiotics for...

Golden Rule: [ 19 Answers ]

Is the independent value of a person implied in the Golden Rule, e.g. "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you?" (Luke 6:31, Matt. 7:12) HANK :)

Golden Not Eating [ 2 Answers ]

I have a three year old Golden Ret. Who has eaten Science Diet since the day she was born? The Last three days she has not eaten but does drink water and has eaten a few pieces of lunch meat and a small piece of turkey. She does not have worms. She shares a pen with a 1 year old golden who is a...

Golden not eating [ 3 Answers ]

I have a golden retriever which is 8 months old and he had an healthy appetite. He is barely eating from a week. His food intake has fallen down from quarter of what he used to eat. Right from when he was 2 months old I used to give him dry food mixed with little wet food because he is used to be...

View more questions Search