Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bwilly Posts: 42, Reputation: 2

Dec 2, 2015, 08:58 PM
    What to paint first
    When painting a room with crown molding, baseboards, and window trim painted white in semi gloss. The walls are painted a light gray. What do you paint first the walls or the trim. My research indicates the trim first then tape it off then paint the walls. What is the best practice?
    Thank you
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 3, 2015, 03:16 AM
    I paint all big flat surfaces first, running right up to and onto the trim. Then the trim, no tape.

Putting tape on trim isn't as neat and easy as you might think, so many people paint the walls first and then put special tape on the walls, tape that doesn't rip off any of the wall paint, or leak under the edges. No painting tape is cheap. I'm cheap, but I'm a very neat painter.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Dec 3, 2015, 12:52 PM
    I agree with Joy. Paint the large flat surfaces first. Then the trim. Saves a lot of time cutting in.

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How long does it take for gel to dry when applied over fresh paint?sh paint [ 2 Answers ]

I painted my stairs and then applied a coat of gel stain. A week later, the surface is still not dry. How long will this take and is there a method for hurrying the drying process?

Will an oil-based paint cover a latex paint? [ 4 Answers ]

Will an oil-based cover a latex ceiling paint? I have a customer that had some ceilings painted and there is now moisture damage showing through the paint. Will an oil-based sealant/primer (such as kilz or pro-bloc) adhere to the latex painted ceilings?

Is there any reason to paint the ceiling with paint when the white primer looks good? [ 4 Answers ]

I just finished putting up new drywall and sprayed a white primer on the ceiling - 2 coats. The ceiling looks good and I'm trying to decide if I really need to paint the ceiling now or can I just leave the primer as it is?

I am a girl and have to figure out what paint and how to paint my barn? [ 4 Answers ]

Ok so now that I have your attention.. I have a very old existing barn with not much paint on it. Who knows when and with what type of paint was used it is so weathered. I think I can just paint over it. In its condition I would have to sand it. The paint is not flaking it is just very weathered...

What prep work is needed to change from oilbase paint to waterbase paint? [ 1 Answers ]

Is there anything I need to do to prep my kitchen from oilbase paint to water base paint ?

View more questions Search