Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    romark Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2007, 10:16 AM
    How do you install an acrylic shower receptor using "setting bed" cement?
    How do you install an acrylic showwer receptor using "setting bed" cement? The sub floor is good and the hole for the drain is 5" as recommended. How do you actually form the setting bed so the receptor is level? 48" x 34" and that's all the space I have to work with.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 12, 2007, 10:51 AM
    You need to lay a bed of thinset mortar down first. Please review this site for detailed instructions. I know it will answer your questions. shower pan installation - Google Search
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2007, 04:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    You need to lay a bed of thinset mortar down first. Please review this site for detailed instructions. I know it will answer your questions. shower pan installation - Google Search
    ACK!!

Thinset is the last thing you want use -- Okay, not the last, that would be concrete, but thinset is every bit as bad as concrete.

What you want to use is just regular run of the mill mortar mix mixed up not too dry and not too wet.

Thinset and concrete will stick to both the subfloor and the bottom of the pan, meaning the pan and the floor will both be toast the next time you want to remodel the bathroom or try to fix a leaking no-caulk drain assembly.

The mortar mix will stick to neither, but will still form a nicely distributed pad for the shower base and will bust up into a few manageable pieces with a few whacks of a hammer the next time you want to remodel the bathroom.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 13, 2007, 07:21 AM
    I am not recommending modified thin set rather ordinary thinset mortar. Please check this manufactures site for installation directions. shower pan installation - Google Search

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fan Blower not working in "ON" or "AUTO" in heat or AC [ 13 Answers ]

Got home from the Brewer game this afternoon and noticed the house was warm(78). Outside was 91. I checked the T-stat and it was set correct. Noticed the air vents weren't blowing anything. Went outside and the condenser and fan was running fine. Then I went downstairs to the furnace unit to see...

A/C or Heat does not work w/thermostat set "on" or "auto". [ 22 Answers ]

A/C or Heat doesn't work in "on" or "auto". Fan will not come on at the "on" position either. I changed the batteries in the thermostat. I also read somewhere to disconnect the "Y" and hold it to the "R" on the thermostat for two minutes. That will tell me if the thermostat is the problem. ...

"Invalid System Disk".Why won't Xubuntu install? [ 4 Answers ]

This is getting annoying! :confused: I've got an old Pentium III computer running Windows98; I added a used hard-drive and formatted it, and then tried to install Xubuntu on the second hard drive (I disconnected the first hard drive and set the formatted drive to "master". I don't quite...

Two parts: moving toilet over 4" and connecting to 4" black plastic to make shower [ 3 Answers ]

Hi friends, I have a concrete slab foundation. In one full bath, I'm changing out the tub to put in a sauna tub, going from 60x30 to 60x32. The toilet is right next to the tub, so I want to move the toilet over at least 4" and change the sink to a pedastal sink to make room for the move for...

View more questions Search