Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Klaus Warfare Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2015, 08:21 AM
    AUS$ - US$ Exchange Rates
    I'm an American leaving for a vacation in Australia on December 16, so I've been watching exchange rates pretty closely the last couple of months. Is a rate hike by the Fed likely to make my vacation more or less expensive?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 27, 2015, 10:05 AM
    Higher tend to lead to an appreciation in the currency. This is because high interest rates means saving in that country gives a better return. Therefore investors often move funds to countries with higher interest rates. Since the inflation rate is so low in the US, you should see the $$ value increase.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Nov 27, 2015, 08:08 PM
    Seriously... speaking as someone who travels a great deal and deals with currency exchanges, and has done so for over 28 years..

If you are so strapped you can't afford a swing in the exchange rate... you really can't afford to be traveling.

Everything has to be planned in advance . Not just tickets but VISA's when needed etc...if a last minute currency swing is going to break the bank. You shouldn't be going. Because you couldn't afford any unexpected additional expenses which can always happen.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Yields, exchange rates and interest rates [ 1 Answers ]

When interest rates falls, then bond prices rise and yields fall. However, when the exchange rate falls, investors demand less bonds, price of bond falls and yields rise. So what happens in an environment of falling interest rates and depreciating exchange rate- the 2 are opposing consequences-...

View more questions Search