Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aworthington Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2007, 09:07 AM
    Floating Miniature Puffer Fish
    Hi,
    I have a 5 gallon Eclipse Biofilter aquarium with two mini Puffers (Tetraoadon Travancorius)in it. I bought the fish three weeks ago. Two weeks ago I did my first 10% water change and the larger fish immediately started having trouble swimming and spent a great deal of time floating upside down, but seemed other wise alert and OK. I assumed the new water was too cold since I had done all the other tests. By the next morning the fish was back to normal. No other unusual behavior until the day before yesterday when just after I fed them thir afternoon meal the same fish went belly up again. After a few hours it was fine and swimming normally again. I have been feeding dried blood worms. I tried switching to pellets that sink thinking the fish could be gulping air, but they won't eat them. My fish is currently upside down, went belly up just after morning feeding, and I would welcome any advice. I live in the country and our pet store people seem to know NOTHING about the fish they sold me.

Thanks and good luck with your problems,
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2007, 07:07 PM
    Hello Aworthington,

Your little puffer is "puffing" himself up.
    This isn't a good habit for the little guy to start practicing.
    Sometimes they can puff themselves up and deflate with no problem, but sometimes problems do accrue where the water pressure causes their inflation valves to press shut making it to difficult for them to deflate... If they are unable to deflate, it will unfortunately cause death.

Stress is the #1 reason for puffers to puff themselves up.
    Some possible causes could be:
    -more then 1 male in the tank
    -being hungry
    -dislike of food (they are very picky eaters)
    -any level of ammonia or nitrite
    -high level of nitrate (over 20 ppm)
    -water changes (very small water changes must be done more often so that water chemistry (Ph,Gh, Kh, and temperature) are not disturbed and to ensure nitrate levels do not go higher than 20ppm)
    -not enough room (dwarf puffers need at least 5 gallons of water per puffer - They are very territorial and need the space)

Water Chemistry should be constant:
    Ammonia 0ppm
    Nitrite 0ppm
    Nitrate 1 - 20ppm
    Total Hardness (GH) and Alkalinity (Kh) soft/moderate
    Ph 7.0
    Temperature 78 degree F

Is the fish thats puffing eating? getting picked on? or anything else that you may notice?

They should be OK as juveniles in a 5 gallon, as they reach maturity, you'll want to move them to a 10 gallon.

Puffers express their dislikes by puffing... unfortunatly it can cause death if too much pressure prevents them from being able to deflate.
    You'll want to watch closely as to what's different when he puffs... This way you can try to prevent the puffing.
    It will become habit for the little guy to puff every time he dislikes something - this increases his chances of death.

You can say they are very demanding;)

The little guy probably discovered that he could puff when you made a water change that was slightly a different tempature... and perhaps he didn't like the food you fed him the 2nd time he puffed.

If you have anymore questions, concerns or anything, I'm here to help:D

Kae

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Floating fish [ 16 Answers ]

I have 6 goldfish in a 30gallon aquarium for 3yrs now. They eat floating pellets. I noticed over the couple days that one fish is swimming with its tail towards the top (almost fighting to stay down). Yesterday morning I thought it wa sdead as it was at the top of the water belly up. I went to...

Miniature Dachsund Puppy Feeding [ 4 Answers ]

What kind of food should be given to a 5 week old mini doxie? I want to do whatever I can to prevent my little puppy from having long term back problems and need help on feeding

How can I control my miniature daschund? [ 5 Answers ]

I own a male miniature dachund approx. 2 and 1/2 yrs old. Although normally a well behaved pet in doors I find that his behaviour is out of control if any one come to the door Also if I bring him for a walk I find that he will try to attack any dog he comes into contact with and proceed to growl...

Miniature schnauzer [ 6 Answers ]

Okay, I happen to have an odd situation that I hope someone here will be able to help me with. I have a 5 month old miniature schnauzer. At least 4 or 5 times a day this odd sound comes out of him. I want to describe it as a sort of purring sound. He does it at any given time, and I have no idea...

Miniature greyhound, upset stomach... HELP. [ 5 Answers ]

We have a miniature greyhound that has a constant stomach problem, she will be fine for several days then all of a sudden she won't eat because her stomach is upset, sometimes she vomits, no diarrhea. We have taken her to the vet several times and he gives her a shot of "Pepcid" and then she is...

View more questions Search