Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cedardrive Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2015, 12:22 PM
    Can a electric panel box be removed from a wall and placed on another wall
    I want to break down a wall but the electric panel box is on the wall. Can I remove the electric panel box to another wall in order to break down the wall.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Nov 19, 2015, 02:01 PM
    The answer is yes and no.

You have to contact the electric utility to make sure they will allow the relocation of the service entry equipment.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Nov 19, 2015, 04:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by donf View Post
    The answer is yes and no.

You have to contact the electric utility to make sure they will allow the relocation of the service entry equipment.
    Don, the utility has no jurisdiction on where the panel is placed. They will have say on meter placement, but definitely no the panel inside the house.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Nov 19, 2015, 04:39 PM
    True, but that is still the place to start and then move to the proper routing of the service conductors to the new location per code.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Nov 23, 2015, 11:29 AM
    It can be done, but you will have 2 major concerns.

1. You may have to replace the service wire to the panel coming from the meter. This will occur if you are relocating the box farther away from the meter. If new wire is required this would be a good time to upgrade your service if under 200 amps.

2. Some of the wires servicing your lights and outlet may be coming from the wrong direction to reach the panel without being spliced. If splicing is needed, the splice has to be in a box the is accessible and can not be buried in the wall or ceiling. If splice box is located in an open attic this will work.

Good luck

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cracking drywall where a previous owner removed a load bearing wall [ 2 Answers ]

My house was built in 1960. In 1979, a previous owner remodeled the kitchen, removing two walls to open the room up. The kitchen is at the front of the house, with the stairs to the basement behind it, and then the dining room is on the back of the house. The owner removed the walls on either side...

Something that will stick to a brick wall, that can be removed & reused, like velcro [ 4 Answers ]

I am looking for something that can be used to hang on a brick wall that can be taken off and re-used on different walls and different areas. It would work like a magnet but on brick.

Wall above wall I want to removed [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I have a 1960's tri-level. The Lower level is 25' x 25' on slab and block. A ledge steel beam divides the room that run perpendicular to the floor joists support by a steel column (in the middle) and block on the ends that supports the upstairs wall. I want to remove 13' of a 25' wall...

Removed supporting wall - please give advice re: property assessment? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am considering purchasing a century-old property in which a load-bearing wall between the living room and dining room on the first floor has been removed. I have been told that the second floor is bowing as a result, but I do not have any measurement of how much it is bowing. My...

Removed switch, hole in wall plate [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I removed a switch from a circuit inside a 3-gang box. Now I have a hole in my switch plate. I'm assuming there's something I can find that will be a kind of "dummy switch" and basically cover the hole in the switch plate from the inside. Does anyone know if such a thing exists, and if so...

View more questions Search