Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mat10 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2015, 10:28 AM
    1. Auto Lavage is a Canadian company that owns and operates a large automatic carwash
    1. Auto Lavage is a Canadian company that owns and operates a large automatic carwash facility near Quebec. The following table provides data concerning the company’s budgeted costs:

Fixed Cost per Month Cost per Car Washed
    Cleaning supplies $ 0.70
    Electricity $ 1,400 $ 0.10
    Maintenance $ 0.30
    Wages and salaries $ 4,700 $ 0.40
    Depreciation $ 8,300
    Rent $ 2,100
    Administrative expenses $ 1,800 $ 0.05

The company expects to charge customers an average of $5.90 per car washed. For November Auto Lavage had assumed that 8,000 cars would washed.

The actual revenues and expenses for November are given below:

Actual Data for 8,100 Cars
    Sales $ 49,300
    Variable expenses
    Cleaning supplies 6,075
    Electricity 891
    Maintenance 2,187
    Wages and salaries 3,402
    Administrative expenses 486
    Fixed expenses
    Electricity 1,450
    Wages and salaries 4,700
    Depreciation 8,300
    Rent 2,100
    Administrative expenses 1,745

Required: (25)

a. Prepare the budget for November.

b. Prepare the flexible budget variance report for November and indicate the flexible budget variance, sales volume variance and static-budget variance.
    mat10 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2015, 10:30 AM
    3. Oxford Concrete Inc. (OCI) processes and distributes various types of cement. The
    1. Oxford Concrete Inc. (OCI) processes and distributes various types of cement. The company buys quarried local rock, limestone, and clay from around the world and mixes, blends, and packages the processed cement for resale. OCI offers a large variety of cement types that it sells in one-kilogram bags to local retailers for small do-it-yourself jobs. The major cost of the cement is raw materials. However, the company’s predominantly automated mixing, blending, and packaging processes require a substantial amount of manufacturing overhead. The company uses relatively little direct labour.
    Some of OCI’s cement mixtures are very popular and sell in large volumes, while a few of the recently introduced cement mixtures sell in very low volumes. OCI prices its cements at manufacturing cost plus a 25% markup, with some adjustments made to keep the company’s prices competitive.
    For the coming year, OCI’s budget includes estimated manufacturing overhead cost of $4,400,000. OCI assigns manufacturing overhead to products on the basis of direct labour-hours. The expected direct labour cost totals $1,200,000, which represents 100,000 hours of direct labour time. Based on the sales budget and expected raw materials costs, the company will purchase and use $10,000,000 of raw materials (mostly quarried rock, limestone, and clay) during the year.
    The expected costs for direct materials and direct labour for one-kilogram bags of two of the company’s cement products appear below:

Normal Portland High Sulphate Resistance
    Direct materials $ 9.00 $ 5.80
    Direct labour (0.02 hours per bag) $ 0.24 $ 0.24

OCI’s controller believes that the company’s traditional costing system may be providing misleading cost information. To determine whether this is the case, the controller has prepared an analysis of the year’s expected manufacturing overhead costs, as shown in the following table:

Activity Cost Pool Activity Measure Expected Activity for the Year Expected Cost for the Year
    Purchasing Purchase orders 4,000 orders $ 1,120,000
    Materials handling Number of setups 2,000 setups $ 386,000
    Quality control Number of batches 1,000 batches $ 180,000
    Mixing Mixing hours 190,000 mixing hours $ 2,090,000
    Blending Blending hours 64,000 blending hours $ 384,000
    Packaging Packaging hours 48,000 packaging hours $ 240,000
    Total MOH cost $ 4,400,000

Data regarding the expected production of Normal Portland and High Sulphate Resistance cement mixes are presented below:

Normal Portland High Sulphate Resistance
    Expected sales 160,000 kilograms 8,000 kilograms
    Batch size 10,000 kilograms 500 kilograms
    Setups 4 per batch 4 per batch
    Purchase order size 20,000 kilograms 500 kilograms
    Mixing time per 100 kilogram 3 mixing hours 3 mixing hours
    Blending time per 100 kilogram 1 blending hour 1 blending hour
    Packaging time per 100 kilogram 0.6 packaging hours 0.6 packaging hours

Required: (40)

a. Using direct labour-hours as the base for assigning manufacturing overhead cost to products, do the following:
    i. Determine the predetermined overhead rate that will be used during the year.
    ii. Determine the unit product cost of one kilogram of the Normal Portland cement and one kilogram of the High Sulphate Resistance cement.

b. Using ABC as the basis for assigning manufacturing overhead cost to products, do the following:
    i. Determine the total amount of manufacturing overhead cost assigned to the Normal Portland cement and to the High Sulphate Resistance cement for the year.
    ii. Using the data developed in 2( a ) above, compute the amount of manufacturing over-head cost per kilogram of the Normal Portland cement and the High Sulphate Resistance cement. Round all computations to the nearest whole cent.
    iii. Determine the unit product cost of one kilogram of the Normal Portland cement and one kilogram of the High Sulphate Resistance cement.

c. Write a brief memo to the president of OCI explaining what you found in (a) and (b) above, and discuss the implications to the company of using direct labour as the base for assigning manufacturing overhead cost to products.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 17, 2015, 10:54 AM
    What do YOU think ?
    While we're happy to HELP, but we will NOT do all the work for you.
    Show us what you have done and where you are having problems..
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2015, 01:02 PM
    mat10. Do you really expect someone to do this much work for you? What will you learn?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to let an auto insurance company know that I aam go to sue for auto accident [ 2 Answers ]

I was in a car accident and received several ijuries 4 hernaited disc to my neck and one herniated disc s-1 and bulging disc l-5 and at t12 bulging disc. And a couple of months later I was rear ended by another driver she admitted fault to her insurance company can I sue for aggrevation of previous...

An automatic device that operates at present values is known as a what [ 2 Answers ]

An automatic device that operates at preset values is known as a what.

Volga is a large manufacturing company in the private sector. In 2007 the company [ 1 Answers ]

. Volga is a large manufacturing company in the private sector. In 2007 the company had a gross sale of Rs.980.2 crore. The other financial data for the company are given below: (10...

Who owns and operates this site [ 23 Answers ]

I was just reading in the members discussions the post about free speech. I find it hilarious that people really have no idea of what "Free Speech" is. But that is not the point of this post. As I read further and further I came across ScottGems post who always gives good advice and he said this...

View more questions Search