Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Augy123 Posts: 58, Reputation: 3

Apr 12, 2007, 07:35 AM
    Plumbing back to back shower valves
    I am plumbing 2 showers that share a wall (back to back). In order to get the hot and cold supplies to the proper side of each valve requires lots of twists and turns. I was advised by someone to just use ½” male threaded connectors on the supply lines (sweat fit to copper) and then simply use those braided faucet hoses to go from that connector to the valves. It sounds reasonable and much simpler than trying to sweat 20 elbows in a small area. Is this a safe (meaning leak-free) way to plumb this project or am I inviting trouble down the road? Thanks for any advice.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 12, 2007, 09:20 AM
    You should not use braided lines sealed inside a wall. They are pretty good lines but prone to failure when compared to sweated coper. You might consider installing one valve slightly higher than normal and the other valve a bit lower. This will give you more room.
    Augy123 Posts: 58, Reputation: 3

Apr 12, 2007, 10:15 AM
    Ok, I kind of thought it sounded a little easy. It sure is tempting though!

The valve ports (hot/cold inlets, shower head outlet) combine both a threaded fitting and 1/2" slip sweat fitting. I seem to have difficulty sweating copper to these types of fittings so is it ok to just sweat the pipe to a 1/2" female threaded connector and then, using pipe compound or thread tape, attach it that way? So, in other words, I would sweat all the connections from the supply except for that very end which would be a threaded connection onto the valve assembly.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 12, 2007, 10:28 AM
    That sounds good to me but let's let this post age a bit and the plumbing pros will get on later this PM. Speedball1 or Doug 238 might have adiffrent read on a solution.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2007, 11:24 AM
    The site discourages asking questions in a PM, https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/announ...-pm-45757.html

Best wait. I usually answer the questions on the dog forum before reading a PM.
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2007, 04:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Augy123
    I am plumbing 2 showers that share a wall (back to back). In order to get the hot and cold supplies to the proper side of each valve requires lots of twists and turns. I was advised by someone to just use ½” male threaded connectors on the supply lines (sweat fit to copper) and then simply use those braided faucet hoses to go from that connector to the valves. It sounds reasonable and much simpler than trying to sweat 20 elbows in a small area. Is this a safe (meaning leak-free) way to plumb this project or am I inviting trouble down the road? Thanks for any advice.
    Read the rough-in instructions for the valves -- A number of manufacturers design their valves in such a way that you can reverse the water supply in back to back installations and then just flip the valve core (the guts inside the valve body) upside down to correct the reversed connection.

This is true with most Moen, American Standard, Kohler and Grohe (not to be confused with Hans Grohe) shower and tub shower valves.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Low cold water pressure in 2 showers... Not back to back config however [ 8 Answers ]

My home is 16 years old, I've had it for 5 years. I am on a pump - with 70LBS high cutoff and 55lbs Low turn on. All copper - I have 2 Delta 1600 shower faucets - one tub spicket with shower diverter - one shower only. The tub/shower combo has allways had only a trickle of cold water and...

2 periods back to back with large blood clots! [ 6 Answers ]

I have just stared yet another period after just ending one 5 days ago. I had major pain with the last one, I have never had that kind of pain before. Now with this period I just found an extremely large blood clot. Although it looked more like tissue then an actual bllod clot. What could this be...

Shower water comes back on? [ 12 Answers ]

I have a push in/out valve for the shower,it's a moen but I don't know any model #. The problem I'm having is if I'm pushing it in to close, it opens up back up. Full blast( as if it was under pressure). It does this w/the main water turned on or off. I've replaced the cartridge inside the valve,...

Shower drain back p [ 2 Answers ]

Our lab suddenly started holding her head in the air sniffing . Very seriously sniffing. We were sitting in the family room with a 1/2 bath located off the family room. She kept holding her head in the air sniffing like we have never seen her do before. My husband went into the bathroom and called...

Shower back-up [ 4 Answers ]

When I take a shower, after a couple minutes, the water slowly accumulates at my feet and stops draining out. Then after the shower is off, it slowly drains out. Also, when we run a load of laundry, both bathtubs/showers on the floor back up with "lint-filled" water. Now I know that the washer...

View more questions Search