Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    113k Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2015, 06:10 AM
    Is it possible?
    Okay so the last time me and my boyfriend had sex was on Halloween. I'm on the pill( take it on time everyday) and we used a condom. My period was on time but way lighter than normal (like sometimes there was no blood at all, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't spotting) and yet still lasted the five days it was supposed to. Does that mean anything? Also if you're on birth control can you have unprotected sex or is it still risking it if you're not ready for a baby at the time? Please help! Thank you!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 16, 2015, 07:16 AM
    No form of birth control is 100 percent. Some women get pregnant every year using the pill and using condom both.

The pill is about 99 percent effective, condoms have about a 3 to 18 percent failure rate.

So pregnancy is very possible.
    Really need to wait perhaps another 2 week and test, or wait and see if you get your cycle next month
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Nov 16, 2015, 09:20 AM
    It could be a wonky period as well. Sometimes that happens for no reason that you can see. Wait for the two weeks and test like Fr_chuck said.
    113k Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2015, 12:39 PM
    Confused about conception
    Hmmm so I was wondering if you had sex and then got your period.. is it still possible that you could become pregnant even though you haven't had sex since before the period? (ended like 2 days ago/lasted 5 days very lightly) Or how long does it take to conceive? This stuff is so confusing, help if you can thanksss
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2015, 12:48 PM
    Women all over the world get pregnant while ON their period all over the world. There is no "safe" time. And it takes LOT of effort to find out when you actually do ovulate just to figure out the less likely and most likely days.

Some women try hard for years...some get pregnant the first time they have sex....its all about timing and luck.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2015, 03:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 113k View Post
    Hmmm so I was wondering if you had sex and then got your period.. is it still possible that you could become pregnant even though you haven't had sex since before the period? (ended like 2 days ago/lasted 5 days very lightly) Or how long does it take to conceive? This stuff is so confusing, help if you can thanksss
    While you can get pregnant when on birth control, even when taken correctly, it is more likely that your period was just off from the norm. You can only become pregnant when you are close to ovulation. Sperm can survive a few days in the days leading up to your ovulation. The egg you release at the time of ovulation can be fertilized only for about 24 hours (the sooner the better). Most women will have a fairly consistent time frame for when they ovulate each cycle,; the average being about 12-16 days before a period is due, but it is not always the average time frame for many women, and it can be off from your own individual norm from time to time. It gives you a starting place, however.
    There are several ways that you can best determine when you are mostly likely to ovulate, but they do take practice and consistency in following.

Pregnancy involves more than just sperm meeting the egg however, so while many couples will become pregnant fairly quickly, often by accident, many others will find it takes a good deal of time.

Many couples will have sex just with birth control pills, but obviously using a second form of birth control will decrease the odds of an unplanned pregnancy even more.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search