Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JR14 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2015, 08:59 PM
    How to tell your mom you will not spend Christmas with her
    This year I've decided to go on vacation and take my son for the holidays. Which means I won't spend Christmas or New Years with my mom and sisters. This year it will be a bit hard because it's the year anniversary of my grandmother's passing and Christmas at the same time. Please help me with this dilemma since I already book my trip and I will not or can't change the dates. On the other hand, I really don't like Christmas since it has become a total materialistic holiday and I rather spend it away from it all. Please help me with any suggestions. Thank you!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 15, 2015, 10:19 PM
    Since you have a child, I will assume you are an adult. You did not mention husband, so not sure what to assume there?

But you merely tell them, while traditions are good, at times, our free time and holiday are times to enjoy other activities.

I am also not sure, how close you live? If you live in the same town, then you see them all the time anyway, if not, you try and arrange another time to visit.

I would say you should have told them before you made the arrangements, but it appears you fear your mother for some reason?
    Oliver2011 Posts: 2,606, Reputation: 746
    Ultra Member

Nov 16, 2015, 08:25 AM
    Christmas will always be what you make of it. If the focus is on the materialism, then that is what your Christmas will be. If your focus is on family, then that is what your Christmas will be.

Don't make excuses about why you don't like Christmas. Be straight and forward with your mom in that you have other plans. Do it sooner so she can make other plans as well. And I agree - plan something before or when you return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want to spend more time with my mom [ 6 Answers ]

I want to spend more time with my mom but my parents recently went to court and my dad got custody of me and my sister. We get to see her two weekends out of the month. My parents can't communicate to save their lives. My mom is going on a vacation soon and my sister and I want to go with. She...

Cheap thing to get mom for Christmas [ 7 Answers ]

I want to get my mom something nice for Christmas but I don't know what to get? Limit is $60

What to Wear, What to Spend, Broke Mom-in-Law [ 11 Answers ]

Hi all - I have a dilemna. My son is getting married in March to a very sweet girl but who has very big wedding plans that are outside our financial limits. I am retired on a limited income and husband is disabled with no income right now. First she wanted me to buy a Mothers dress and showed...

View more questions Search