Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nealsmemory Posts: 32, Reputation: 2

Nov 15, 2015, 04:43 PM
    Severe dominant hand injury, cause mental probs?
    If someone suffers a severe injury to their dominate hand, does this cause mental issues? They can use the hand, have about 40 percent usage, but serious anger issues, and lashing out. It's always been somewhat like that but it's real bad now. Of course they don't think there's anything wrong.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2015, 04:55 PM
    Frustration isn't a mental disorder.

But some people ARE so dependent on their dominant hand they have trouble doing a lot of tasks with their other and it will spike frustration and that will cause the anger.

Some of us are partially or full ambidextrous. I'm partially and was forced to do that during a period of an injury that left me with essentially ZERO use of that hand due to bandages and pain, and it caused me a lot of difficulty. I can imagine it would have been significantly worse for some people that did almost everything with one hand. Try and bandage your dominant hand up so much you can't use it for two days. You will see how rough it can be.
    nealsmemory Posts: 32, Reputation: 2

Nov 15, 2015, 05:55 PM
    I understand the frustration, I've been there. I guess we need anger management, living with him is a nightmare. Thank you
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2015, 06:17 PM
    If he had that issue before... perhaps it's a good idea, Lower his stress levels as well as yours.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 15, 2015, 10:31 PM
    No, it does not cause a mental issue.

A disability, can cause depression, anger and cause a person to have a negative view.

But in learning to compensate they can developed more understanding.

It sounds like this was a person with anger problems already, and now they channel physical short comings into emotion distress.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 16, 2015, 04:43 AM
    I have to agree, likely there were already issues that needed addressing and this physical setback is no excuse to keep ignoring them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Head injury... severe headache.. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi We were playing race cars... which can go at a speed of 15 miles per hour... some one hit my car from the back... at that time I was bending foreword... when the other car hit me.. Hy head hit the seat very hard.. and from then I have severe headache...

Hand injury [ 3 Answers ]

I just recently injured my hand last Friday. I was swinging a sledge hammer and after that, every time I applied any pressure to the inner palm of my hand it hurts like crazy. I can't do any sort of work that applies pressure to my right palm or my hand feels intense amounts of pain, and I am...

Severe ankle injury [ 5 Answers ]

Is there anybody out there with a severe ankle injury? What do you do for pain and exercise? What are your long term goals for surviving your injury?

View more questions Search