Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JoeBo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2015, 02:58 PM
    Are we allowed to provide candidates a copy of their background check?
    I have a candidate who would like to dispute some of the results that he was unaware of. I have researched online and all I found was that he can request this from the company that conducted the background check. But can't we provide a copy since we have it? Thanks
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 10, 2015, 06:37 PM
    You paid for that background check and it now is yours to do with as you wish.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 10, 2015, 08:08 PM
    You may want to consult with your attorney before you do give him a copy, as I see a few liability issues if he was denied employment because of the inaccuracy of your background checks. Most companies don't reveal the reason for denying employment for that very reason.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 10, 2015, 10:19 PM
    Almost never (never) do you tell a candidate why they were not hired, merely they were not hired.

Also, if it is the policy of the company who did a background check, to give a copy, let them do it, if something is not correct, allow them to assume all liability.

This can, (the second that person questioned this) into a law suit, so don't do anything, not absolutely required.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 11, 2015, 04:00 AM
    I agree with all the above, but I applaud you for telling him. Horror stories abound of people with MISTAKES on their background checks and credit reports! Since you have already let the cat out of the bag, why not give him a copy, making it clear that you didn't have to, and he needs to take up all disputes with them, not you.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 11, 2015, 06:59 AM
    The questions was "allowed". So the first place to check is with the company that does your background checks. There may be something in your contract with them that prohibits you from doing so.

If they do not object, then you are allowed to do so. But allowed and wise are different things. This is not like a credit check where you are required to give a reason for denial and show what data the denial was based on.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 11, 2015, 07:38 AM
    It's like going to the bank looking for a loan and you have glitches on your credit report. Good idea to check your own credit before you apply. Everyone can run a background check before they apply for a job.

Still banks, and employers can still be liable as a second party when reporting companies make mistakes that lead to adverse outcomes. They both have legal departments for just that sort of thing, and they do use them. You should have legal council also, and consult with them before you hand over any company document to an outside party.

Read the disclaimer and terms of agreement that EVERY background check company issues before you PAY for their contracted services.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Misdemeanor for bad check shows up as excpetion major on background check [ 3 Answers ]

My background check says misdemeanor Exception-Major for a bad check in 1991

Need to Provide Copy of Drivers license [ 11 Answers ]

I was told that where I work I will now be required to provide a photo copy of my drivers license every month! Does this seem just a little bit ridiculous? First I thought it was just myself but it seems all employees need to. All which I am not sure about because I guess a few might be excluded...

What will show on an FBI Finger check and background check [ 3 Answers ]

I am applying to an Illinois University for my Bachelor's in Early Childhood Education. Unfortunately when I was younger and stupid, I got a DUI in Illinois and a DWI in Missouri. I had an attorney for both and got them "taken care of". BUT, I know they are probably still on my record, right? ...

Will a military background check show up on a civilian criminal background check? [ 2 Answers ]

Will a military background check show up on a civilian background check?

Background check [ 4 Answers ]

I was arrested for theft of items that came to a total of $210. It was a misdomenor (sp) I went to my first court date and the judge entered a plea of not guilty for me, I go back to court next week. My question is, I am starting a new job and they will be running a background check, will this show...

View more questions Search