Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    YeahBoyz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2015, 11:05 AM
    There are 4 Branch/Feeder (Type AFCI-Type BRAF) test circuit breakers that will not r
    There are 4 Branch/Feeder (Type AFCI-Type BRAF) test circuit breakers that will not reset. All 4 breakers are all in the top left side of the circuit panel box, (order from top to bottom: basement lights/smoke detectors, master bedroom, bedroom 2, & bedroom 3). Two heaters (same outlet) caused the breaker to trip in the master bedroom. Attempting to reset the breaker (after heaters were unplugged), there was a poof and the other 3 Branch/Feeder (Type AFCI-Type BRAF) test circuit breakers tripped (the basement lights and the other 2 bedrooms). I've checked all 6 GFCI outlets and even tripped and reset the ones that were not being used. This happened Sunday around 1:30 am and I've tried to reset it numerous times. Since there was a poof from the circuit panel, would resetting all the other breakers in the panel possibly fix the issue or would replacing the breakers fix the issue? Or, is there a bigger issue with the circuit panel?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2015, 11:53 AM
    If there was a "poof", you could have shorted line inside the panel, a burned wire or something with the panel. If you do not feel comfortable opening the panel to look-there is 240VAC there, get a qualified electrician.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Nov 11, 2015, 05:33 AM
    Okay let's level set. An AFCI breaker is not a GFCI breaker. They are not protecting against the same things.

An AFCI is providing protection against fire by looking for arching conditions in the circuit. A GFCI breaker however is providing protection against electrocution by sensing a difference in the current between the hot and neutral conductors.

You seriously need to get a licensed electrician in to work on your panel and verify all the connections in the failing circuits.

Working in the panelboard can get you very dead or severely burned if you do not know what to do and how to do it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Walker panel type 103w ,where can I find 20 amp breakers? [ 2 Answers ]

What kind of breakers will fit in walker panel(type 103w)

What type of tree branch can I use for my water dragons [ 0 Answers ]

I want to get more branches for my water dragon to climb on and find pet shops to be very expensive for large pieces. Wondered if could get some from my local park and treat them if so what trees and how to treat to make safe

Does Square D manufacture 3 pole 225 amp QO or QOB type circuit breakers? [ 5 Answers ]

I currently have an NQ-type Square D panelboard with a 400 A main breaker. I need to get ahold of 3 pole 225 amp circuit breakers for an upcoming project. I need the circuit breakers to be either QO or QOB type (plug-on or bolt-on). I need to know if these are manufactured, and if so I would like...

AFCI Breakers [ 10 Answers ]

For the purpose of discussion: Now that the 2008 NEC mandates AFCI breakers be used in new construction, should older breakers be upgraded on an as needed basis. By that I mean if you need to replace a breaker (15 or 20 amp) should you replace it with an AFCI beaker, even though not required...

View more questions Search