Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jeffmeyer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2015, 07:07 PM
    Old galvanized water pipes
    Is there a way to clean or flush old galvanized plumbing lines without damaging the pipe?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2015, 08:55 PM
    In short, no.
    Best to make a game-plan to replace them - you can do so in sections to budget the cost and time to do it.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 7, 2015, 06:15 AM
    Pipes are being "flushed" every time you open water. As suggested above, best way to deal with corroded pipes is to replace them. Once rust sets in, there is really no way to remove it.

Hope that helps

Milo
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Nov 7, 2015, 02:58 PM
    I agree with Milo and RickJ, Thanks.

John
    greenfox43 Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Nov 10, 2015, 12:30 PM
    You don't have a choice until you replace all your corroded pipes, make a good decision and prevent big pain.
    Questionair Posts: 53, Reputation: 4

Nov 11, 2015, 08:05 AM
    Your next and only step is to retrofit all the corroded piping. May sound expensive, but it really isn't . Find out what size piping and how many feet approximately are corroded. Your best bet should be replacing the piping with PEX tubing, it's cheap, effective, and will not corrode.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Galvanized pipes [ 3 Answers ]

How do I transition from copper pipes to existing galvanized pipes- can it be done

Replacing galvanized pipes [ 2 Answers ]

Hey everybody. So I'm wondering if anybody out there can help me? I need to replace my water pipes which are galvanized. I am replacing them at the main shut off valve coming from the city. By the way, I live in Chicago,IL. I have to run them to the water boilers. Then from there One boiler is...

Galvanized pipes [ 2 Answers ]

I have some galvanized pipe in my house I am trying to eliminate. All the pipes that are carrying waste are easy to rip out and replace with new PVC. Only problem is 2 -2inch vents coming from a vanity and tub. The galvanized 2 inch pipe goes up beyond where I can reach. Is it OK to cut the...

Galvanized heat pipes [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 1950's ranch with galvanized supply and return lines that connect to copper baseboard radiators. It appears they are using a brass or copper fitting that is soldered to the copper below flore level. There are plugs on the bottom of all these fittings. The strange part is that the...

Breaking Loose Rusted Galvanized Pipes [ 3 Answers ]

I need to break a rusted galvanized pipe joint that is used is used for yard watering system. Is there any compound that can be applied to the metal that will make it easier? I haven't been able to get it to move with 14 inch pipe wrench. Next I'm going to try to rig up a cheater with a length...

View more questions Search