Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MaPaWest82 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2015, 05:28 PM
    Ancient gravity furnace!!
    We bought our home 13 years ago. Never have had any problems with our heat sourse until now. Our home was built in 1867... YES... 1867!! We are positive the furnace was not innstalled until many years later. We have a JANITROL GRAVITY FURNACE. Type & size TM, SERIAL#SN0956B0035. Manufactured by Surface Combustion Corp. out of Columbus,Ohio. As old as this furnace appears to be & the repair techs tell us we don't know where to turn for help! Can you help us find parts or some one to talk to us? Thanks in advance for any help you can give us!!
    MaPaWest82
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 1, 2015, 06:39 PM
    Did you ask your repair tech for advice? The company still exists Contact - Surface Combustion
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 2, 2015, 03:59 PM
    They were very basic antique heaters, originally fired with coal. Looked like an Octopus. Full time pilot or spark unit, thermocouple. Thermostat turns on the gas valve and a limit switch opens and closes until t'stat does not call for heat. Efficiency is 50-60% at best. Most had tons of Asbestos lagging on the pipes. Want to save money? Put in a newer 85% or more heater and you can have consistent heat and capacity to add central air? You never commented on a problem, only made a statement.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gravity Flow Furnace [ 0 Answers ]

To HVAC1000: Do you know where I can get a used fire box for an old Atlas Gravity Flow Furnace? I have a client that has two of these furnaces in his home and does not want to replace them. He wants to get old parts in case something happens to the ones he has. Thanks :)

Western gravity furnace [ 0 Answers ]

Hi, I have a Western Gravity Furnace, and cannot get the new thermostat to turn off the unit. When turned on, it just runs and cannot turn it off with out manually turning it off. It has been suggested that it could be a limit switch - would you know if this might be the case, the purpose of the...

Gravity floor furnace [ 3 Answers ]

We have a gravity floor furnace and there was a little cap over the pilot light. This cap is missing and we need to see where we can purchase another one. I assume that we cannot light the furnace with this cap on?

Newish digital thermostat to ancient gravity heater, no fireup pilot on [ 0 Answers ]

OK, I'll try. Probably original rectangular box in floor(honorbuilt) with grate, connected to White Rodgers programmable digital themostat. Pilot on. WE put known working thermostats( From wall heaters in house -not digital) Nothing fires up heat. Maybe once every week or two the digital one works....

Gravity furnace contain asbestos? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm wondering if anyone has info on whether a Biltwel gravity furnace has asbestos inside?

View more questions Search