Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tubist Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2015, 10:34 AM
    Confused; any help please?--Predetermined overhead rate under traditional method
    Manzeck Company operates a snow-removal service. The company owns five trucks, each of which has a snow plow in the front to plow driveways and a snowthrower in the back to clear sidewalks. Because plowing snow is very tough on trucks, the company incurs significant maintenance costs. Truck depreciation and maintenance represents a significant portion of the company's overhead. The company removes snow at residential locations, in which case the drivers spend the bulk of their time walking behind the snowthrower machine to clear sidewalks. On commercial jobs, the drivers spend most of their time plowing. Manzeck allocates overhead based on labor hours. Total overhead costs for the year are $43,300. Total labor hours are 1,270 hours. The average residential property requires 1 hours of labor, while the average commercial property requires 3 hours of labor. The following additional information is available.
    Activity cost Pools
    Cost Drivers
    Estimated Overhead
    Expected Use of Cost Drivers per Activity
    Plowing
    Square yards of surface plowed $38,200 221,000
    Snowthrowing
    Linear feet of sidewalk cleared $4,000 45,000
    Determine the predetermined overhead rate under traditional costing? I found the rate as 34.09
    the amount of overhead allocated to the average residential job using traditional costing based on labor hours???
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Nov 6, 2015, 06:19 PM
    It would seem there are vastly different conditions associated with each activity and therefore a single rate between two diverse activities is a mistake in principle and would lead to cross subsidisation

Plowing has an overhead cost per square yard of $0.17
    Snow throwing has an overhead cost per linear feet of $0.09
    You have calculated a rate based on labour hours but other criteria suggest better methodology a good guide is to use the parameter
    Of largest dimension in this case volumetric data

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Determine the predetermined overhead rate if the predetermined overhead rate... [ 1 Answers ]

The management of Sharrar Corporation would like to investigate the possibility of basing its predetermined overhead rate on activity at capacity rather than on the estimated amount of activity for the year. The company's controller has proveded an example to illustrate how this new system would...

Predetermined Overhead Rate [ 0 Answers ]

I need to calculate the predetermined overhead rate. Can someone please show me how this is done? Thank you in advance. Direct labor expended on jobs completed in month 1 $100,000 Direct material used up $500,000

Predetermined overhead rate [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm in cost accounting and I just don't understand how to calculate the predetermined overhead rate if there aren't any allocation base given for the denominator.:confused:

Predetermined Overhead Rate & Overhead Applied [ 1 Answers ]

B3 Company is a manufacturing firm that uses job-order costing. The company applies overhead to jobs using a predetermined overhead rate based on machine-hours. At the beginning of the year, the company estimated that it would work 24,000 machine-hours and incur $216,000 in manufacturing overhead...

View more questions Search