Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    russharv63 Posts: 65, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2015, 08:16 AM
    Is this a violation from a debt collecter who did not respond to a validation letter?
    I got a letter from a debt collector on a debt that was past the statue of limitations in my state of Virginia. They said I had 30 days to dispute the validity of the debt. So I sent them a certified letter disputing it and after several months they never wrote back. They also stated in the letter that I would not be sued because of how old the debt was and they will not report it to any credit reporting agency. I have checked all my credit reports and the debt is not on any of them. Have they committed a violation because they did not validate the debt? They are still sending me letters trying to collect the debt.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Nov 1, 2015, 08:43 AM
    They can send you letters and even call you the rest of your natural life... its their legal right. You owe the debt... you skipped out on it, by coincidence you lucked out and they didn't take you to court before that statute ran out.

Also, how was that determined. Its not from when the debt was incurred. It was from the last activity pertaining to the debt.

The statute of limitations only applies to when they can take you to court for it. You aren't exempt from them trying to collect it ever.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 1, 2015, 08:45 AM
    While the statute of limitations may have passed, this does NOT mean the debt ceases to exist.
    Just means they cannot take legal action to recover it.
    They can ask for payment as much as they want, you do not need to respond to this requests.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 1, 2015, 01:58 PM
    On top of what has been said if you re-acknowledge the debt the limitation is out the window.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 1, 2015, 08:47 PM
    No, they did not violate anything, you have a right to ask for the validation, and if they do not, this gives you a defense in court, if they did sue.

Obviously this is one of the companies that buy old debt, often for 2 or 3 cents on the dollar. (or less) in hope they can collect some of it.

So they send out letters, (often to people who do not even owe it, just with the same name) and fish for money. They may continue to write you letters, and ask for the money, but since it is out of the SOL they may not sue you.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Nov 2, 2015, 08:51 AM
    They also stated in the letter that I would not be sued because of how old the debt was and they will not report it to any credit reporting agency.
    So what's the problem? If you don't want them to continue sending you letters, simply demand that they stop doing that. I believe there's a federal statute which requires them to stop if you so demand. But junk mail is not really a problem for most of us. I get mostly junk mail every day, and usually throw it away without opening it.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 10, 2015, 02:40 PM
    Hello r:

This is simple.. Pursuant to the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, you can DEMAND that they STOP hassling you. Do it.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What not to say in a debt validation letter [ 1 Answers ]

Just received summons from midland funding to answer lawsuit. Is it too late to ask for debt validation?

Validation of Debt Letter [ 4 Answers ]

Subject: Validation of Debt Letter I have received a Civil Summons for a credit card debt. I want to send a letter requesting Validation of debt. Who should I send the letter too ? A. Plaintiff B. Attorney C. Both A and B. I live in North Carolina and the Plaintiff...

Debt Validation Sworn Denial Letter Valid 30 Days After Demand Letter Michigan [ 9 Answers ]

Zwicker has sued me for alleged debt and I am representing myself in Michigan in court. The details are as follows. I have only received one demand letter from them dated December 26, 2006. The letter did not provide any information that is required by the Fair Debt Collections Act to dispute...

Small Claims Debt Validation Sworn Denial Letter Valid 30 Days After Demand Letter my [ 1 Answers ]

Zwicker has sued me for alleged debt and I am representing myself in Michigan in court. The details are as follows. I have only received one demand letter from them dated December 26, 2006. The letter did not provide any information that is required by the Fair Debt Collections Act to dispute...

View more questions Search