Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kane01 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2005, 06:22 PM
    System restore
    Hi everbody, am using xp2 sp2 home ed. I tried to access system restore to switch it off temporarily to be met with the message:turned off by group policy,to turn on contact your domain administrator! Went to services where it was showing as stopped,tried to start itgot the following message:sys rest. On local comp. started then stopped,some services stop automatocally if they have ni work to do.started comp in safe mode with command prompt,typed in command to start sys rest. Got original message! Anyone got the foggiest as to what's going on? Many thanks in advance for any help
    walt17 Posts: 335, Reputation: 28

Mar 5, 2005, 06:53 PM
    Try going to control panel >system >system restore and turning restore on/off from there.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2005, 05:04 AM
    System Restore
    Hi,
    Here is a link with step by step instructions on how to use, change, etc, the System Restore:

You might compare these steps with what you are attempting to do:

http://www.informit.com/articles/art...01189&seqNum=1

Just for information:
    If you wish to add or subtract from an Experts' reputation, or show appreciation or discontent with an answer, click on the "balance scales" icon by the Experts' name. You can then choose what you wish.

Best wishes,
    fredg

Mar 6, 2005, 07:43 AM
    Sys restore
    Hi walt17,thanks for reply,no joy there,in the sys properties window that came up there was no sys restore tab,xp came already installed on comp.I don't know if that is the reason for it not being there.
    Hi fredg again thanks for reply am just about to try your link will post back with results,hopefully good ones! :)

Mar 6, 2005, 07:58 AM
    Sys restore
    Hi fredg,no joy there I`m afraid,have trawled through Microsoft knowledge base with no luck,who would be my domain administrator as it says in the first error message igot? Thanks for your time and trouble.
    walt17 Posts: 335, Reputation: 28

Mar 6, 2005, 09:08 AM
    Hi Kane01,
    With the system restore tab missing that means you don't have permission to start or change settings. You need administrator privileges. In XP at least one user has to be disignated as an administor. Go to user accounts in the control panel and see who has that authority.

If there is no person designated as user, there should be a generic administor. My computer initially had it as "X". You can log on as X and then rename it or change your account type to administor.

Walt

Mar 6, 2005, 10:14 AM
    Sys restore
    Hi,walt, thanks for reply,there are four of us who use this comp. we are all down as administrators,I couldn't even switch sys restore on in safe mode using command prompt,this is mighty puzzling! Pete.
    SESaskDFC Posts: 214, Reputation: 17

Mar 6, 2005, 10:33 AM
    Howdy:

Have you tried logging into Windows as the TRUE Administrator rather than just a user with Admin rights?

Murray

Mar 6, 2005, 11:34 AM
    sys restore
    hi all,many thanks to all who replied to this query, have managed to sort it out,had to delete two values in theregistryin theend! A bit nerve wracking but everything seems to be hunky dory! Muchos gracias from a happy englishman. :)
    astrolabe Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2005, 01:04 PM
    Hi Kaneo1, How did you do that?
    Hi Kane01, I met exactly the same problem as yours and I am still not know how to do that, could you please tell me how did you do that?
    Thanks
    Onowotnow Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Mar 13, 2005, 07:48 AM
    Want to get System Restore Tab back.
    I have the same problem. The system restore tab was removed by the Fatso.B worm which I have now cleared from the computer, but I'm supposed to disable the System Restore before I do a virusscan in order to complete the process. I can't do this without the Tab. And I can't create a new system restore point in order not to be reinfected, etc. I have followed the Manual Removal Instructions given by Trendmicro.com which includes deleting the worm from the Registry, but obviously the instructions do not fix the system restore tab as well. I would really really appreciate it if the person who managed to fix it in the register would tell us exactly which registry locations and values he changed to get his Tab back. And so would all the other poor souls who have been hit by the Crog/Fatso/Serflog worm since 7 March.
    Onowotnow Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Mar 14, 2005, 02:22 AM
    Here's what you have to do:

Click Start, click Run, type in REGEDIT, click OK You should now be in the Registry Editor.

Double-click on LHS of panel the following:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SOFTWARE>Policies>Microsoft>Win dowsNT>SystemRestore.

Do you see the following entries on the RHS of the panel?:

DisableSR
    DisableConfig

These two entries were created by the worm. When I deleted them both (select entry on RHS, click Edit, click Delete, close Registry Editor) I found to my delight that my System Restore Tab had reappeared.

Now that's it's back, I can turn off the System Restore, click Apply, OK, restart my computer, do a virus scan with the most uptodate virus definitions, turn the system restore back on, and then create a new safe restore point for future use. If you don't do this you will reinfect your computer with the worm.

Hope this does the trick for you too!
    astrolabe Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2005, 11:56 AM
    Thanks very much.
    Thanks very much. I got mu computer fixed by this approach.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2005, 07:13 AM
    System Restore
    Hi, Kane01,
    You are quite welcome for the help.
    Many times, computer issues take some time to troubleshoot.
    I am glad you found the answer!
    Best wishes,
    fredg

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

System Restore [ 1 Answers ]

I have WIN XP, Service Pack 2. When I go to System Restore, there are no earlier restore points to go to. I have always had earlier points to choose from. Is there something wrong with the program? Thanks.

System Restore [ 1 Answers ]

Hiya Shipmates Got a problem and hope someone can help. When a restore point is created on my Pc, either manually or when using Windows update, the bold date has gone the next day. System restore IS enabled, I have well over the minimum 200Mb of disk space that is recommended, have Ad-Aware,...

System restore xp [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to restore my computer to an earlier date,but every time I try , the computer goes through the motions, but always comes up with the result "Computer can not be restored to this date" Any help Please

System Restore [ 3 Answers ]

My Restore folder is taking up a ton of space (almost 13 GB of my 20 GB drive) and I'd really like to get rid of it. Is it safe to delete this folder? Edit: I'm on Windows Me and I've already tried turning system restore off.

System restore win ME [ 3 Answers ]

My windows ME system restore facility will not run , and only tells me that I need to restart my PC first . After restarting it still does the same , I think there is a virus behind all this , please help.

View more questions Search