Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    buddhuram Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2007, 09:27 PM
    Is income from US employer paid for work performed abroad tax exempt?
    I am a nonresident (Indian) looking for advice regarding filing my 2006 taxes. I have searched several forums but haven't found a convincing response to the following question:

During 2006 I was on F1-OPT till June 28. I started work from my employer in Wash DC on April 24. Since my OPT expired in June, I relocated to the New Delhi office of my company in order to remain in status and still continue my work, while the mothership processed my H1 visa. I worked from June 29 to December 4 out of the Delhi office and returned to the US with my H1 visa on December 5. During my time in India, my wages were being directly deposited to my US account by my employer and federal/state taxes being withheld as if I was still in DC. Consequently my W2 shows my income from April 24 till the end of the year.

In sum, I earned around 40k in total from:
    Jan 1 - April 23 No job
    April 24 - June 28 on F1 OPT
    June 29 - December 4 worked in India for the same company
    December 4 - December 31 on H1 B

So my question is: Is the income - for the five months I was in India - tax exempt? If yes, where do I show it on 1040NR?
    A related question - Since the majority of the income I earned while I was in the US was while I was on my F1-OPT (April 24 - June 28) can I still claim the standard deduction for Indian students?

Kindly let me know your thoughts. Thanks so much in advance.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 19, 2007, 02:55 PM
    The income is NOT tax exempt, because it is U.S.-sourced. However, if it was taxed in India, you can claim a credit for those taxes using Form 1116.
    Yes, you CAN claim the standard deduction.
    The Texas Tax Expert Posts: 310, Reputation: 7

Apr 19, 2007, 03:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert
    The income is NOT tax exempt, because it is U.S.-sourced. However, if it was taxed in India, you can claim a credit for those taxes using Form 1116.
    Yes, you CAN claim the standard deduction.
    I disagree. Income for services performed abroad is foreign sourced.
    Mobea Posts: 220, Reputation: 15

Apr 19, 2007, 03:28 PM
    This is straight from the IRS website

What is foreign earned income? Is it income from a foreign source or income paid by a U.S. company while living abroad?

Earned income is pay for personal services performed, such as wages, salaries, or professional fees. Foreign earned income is income you receive for services you perform in a foreign country during a period when your tax home is in a foreign country and during which time you meet either the bona fide residence test or the physical presence test. It does not matter whether earned income is paid by a U.S. employer or a foreign employer. Foreign earned income does not include the following amounts.

The previously excluded value of meals and lodging furnished for the convenience of your employer.
    Pension or annuity payments including social security benefits.
    Payments by the U.S. Government, or any U.S. government agency or instrumentality, to its employees.
    Amounts included in your income because of your employer's contributions to a nonexempt employee trust or to a nonqualifying annuity contract.
    Recaptured unallowable moving expenses
    Payments received after the end of the tax year following the tax year in which you performed the services that earned the income
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 20, 2007, 09:44 AM
    While I will concede that the five months is probably foreign income, the IRS will consider it taxable because IF the person decide to file jointly with his spouse (assuming he is married).

If he files as a NRA, then he can exempt the income earned while in India under provisions of the India-U.S. Tax Treaty.

Apr 20, 2007, 10:21 AM
    ATE, I'm not quite following you here. You are correct that if he is a resident alien (or elects to be so) then he would be taxed on all income worldwide.

However, if he is a non-resident which seems to be the case, this is foreign source income and should not be subject to US tax.
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 20, 2007, 10:53 AM
    TTE, I grant you that his U.S.-based income earned while in India is NOT subjet to U.S. taxes.

However, the IRS does not know that. All they see is one W-2 that has income from a U.S. company. So they are going to consider that income subject to U.S. taxes unless Buddhuram properly accounts for it on his tax return.

Apr 20, 2007, 10:55 AM
    I agree that the IRS will assume it is taxable until he indicates otherwise.
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 24, 2007, 10:21 AM
    We actually agree?? That is an earth-shattering event! :-)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Income Exempt by US - India TAX treaty [ 10 Answers ]

I have a question regarding the income exempt by the US - India tax treaty. I was a student from Jan 04 to Jun 04, then on a OPT from Jun 04 to Oct 04 and on a H1 from Oct 04 through. I have a W2 from my University (for part of the summer that I was working over there), a W2 from my employer...

FICA Tax must paid by employer or Employee? Is there any excemption in it? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Experts, I am on H1B visa , working in GA. 1. does the FICA tax needs to be paid by the employer or by employee? 2. is there any exemption based on annual income? If yes what should be the yearly income to get rid of FICA tax? I am curious to know the answer for these Payroll...

Income exempt from tax? (Chinese F1 student on OPT) [ 18 Answers ]

Hi, I am preparing Form 1040NR (or 1040NR-EZ) for my 12-month OPT under a F1 student visa. I am a citizen of People's Republic of China and I received Form 1040-MISC from my employer for the work I did during my OPT. I would like to know whether my income is partially or totally exempt...

For F-1 Students is whole 'Stipend' income tax exempt under India-Usa Treaty ? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I entered USA in the August of 2005 on F-1 Visa. I received a graduate assistantship for one year and later on became a Research Assistant (RA) in my department. Being an RA entitles me to full tuition remission and am paid a stipend of 18K per year. When I filed my taxes previously with...

Work performed and not paid by the company [ 2 Answers ]

I'm selfemployed and there's a two companies that I did some work for them and they have not yet paid me for my permit expediting service. What can I do ?

View more questions Search