Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SeleneTawny Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2015, 01:30 AM
    Expense Category
    Hi,
    I am the administrator of a non-profit and need an answer to a question. Here is a little background. We of course have members, these members pay for a quarterly newsletter. When a newsletter is returned to us we are charged for the return. They are putting this charge under our publishing expense, I think it should go under our membership expenses. Which should it be under?

Thank you in advance.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 21, 2015, 09:27 AM
    It seems to me that the cost of returns is part of the overall cost of publishing and mailing the newsletter, so I would put it in that bucket. Or you could establish a cost center called "Newsletter" to capture all costs associated with producing and mailing it, to keep those costs separate from other publishing and mailing costs the organization may incur that has nothing to do with the newsletter. That way you could easily see if the fee you charge for the newsletter covers its expense.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Residence category (IR1 category) [ 3 Answers ]

Dear lawyer, I entered to US on an immigrant visa (IR1 category) on March 12, 2014, which I got through marriage after 3 ½ years with an American citizen. After a month and a half of being here in US my wife has asked for divorce and she was the petitioner. After being separated for almost...

A company had revenue of 250000, rent expense of 10000, utility expense of 3500, sala [ 1 Answers ]

A company had a revenue of 250000, rent expense of 10000, utility expense of 3500, salary expense of 18500, depreciation expense of 9,000, advertising expense of4500, dividends in the amount of 18000, and a beginning balance in retained earnings of 17900. What is the balance in retained earnings...

Wages expense vs accrued wages expense or prepaid expense [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have this question which I'm stuck on Staff works a 14 day fortnight and are paid on the 15th day 15-Jun Staff Wages $1279 29-Jun Staff Wages $1279 So I drew up a timeline and figured out that staff will be paid on the 30th of jun, not 29th. Therefore, in this case, it means...

Moving Expense and Traveller Expense [ 1 Answers ]

Brief History: I came to US on F1 in 2001 and graduated in 2003. I have been employed from October, 2003 on my OPT and my H1 started in May, 2004. I changed my employer in 2004 and in 2005 I had to leave the country to be with my family in my home country. I was out of the country from April 2005...

View more questions Search