Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kareny Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2005, 10:53 AM
    Computor has a mind of its own!
    :D - hello; have had masses of problems with my computor in the past week; many of the problems seem to have stemmed from spyware- have downloaded adaware and that found over 300 problems! Still finding about 15 a day...
    Despite having broad band my computor is now slower than it was before the broadband!
    Each time I open my computor it tells me that winoldap has caused an error in winoa386.mod and that
    Error loading c/progra~1\wildta~1\apps\cda\cdaeng~1.dll what does all this mean??
    How can I sort my computor out
    Any suggestions greatly recieved- last week it crashed completley! :eek:
    walt17 Posts: 335, Reputation: 28

Mar 5, 2005, 07:50 PM
    Download and run Microsoft Antispyware and Spyware Search and Destroy also. None of them will get all of the spyware.
    If you are using IE explorer increase your security settings.
    You should be using a firewall if you don't have one already.
    Broad band providers advertise "always on." Don't leave your computer on all of the time. That's an invitation for someone to sneak in.
    Check out "Must have programs" in the "Computers for beginners" forum. There are a lot of good references there.
    Practice safe computing: Be careful what you click on.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2005, 05:19 AM
    Spyware
    Hi,
    Sounds like your computer is infected with Spyware/Advertising programs. They can get into the computer from anywhere on the net.
    Here are suggestions of programs to download/install, with steps on the most effective way to use them:

If you think you already have Spyware/Advertising Ware in your computer, run these as follows:

http://www.security-related.com/download2.htm
    Download: SpyBot Search & Destroy; 1.3
    (If you use the Spyware Blaster free program, then don't set SpyBot to the Immunization feature)

AdAware at:
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com
    Download: AdAware_SE

CWShredder at:
    http://www.intermute.com/products/cwshredder.html
    (CWShredder is intended only for removal of CoolWebSearch files; placed as spyware on the harddrive). It is not a "stand alone" scan, but needs to be run. Download the free version by clicking on "Download stand alone version of CW Shredder".

All 3 of the above programs run better and much faster when run in SafeMode.

To get into SafeMode:
    Re-boot the computer, and immediately after starting up, Press and hold down, F8, at top of keypad.
    When the options show on the screen, use the up and down arrow keys on the keyboard to select
    "Safe Mode".
    Press Enter

It's best to run the AdAware scan first; 3 times; then re-boot.
    Then, run the AdAware scan again 3 times; then run the SpyBot. Then, run CWShredder.
    Re- Boot.
    Reason for running so many times:
    Some of these trojans' files can be deleted the first time; leaving some others; but on re-boot, they re-write the files that were deleted.
    Running multiple times deletes most of it the first
    Time.

If you wish to have a great program, after you clean out Spyware/Advertising Ware:
    SpyWare Blaster 3.2
    Great, free, program that STOPS spyware, trojans, home page hijacks, etc, BEFORE they get into your computer, with weekly updates on "definitions". Check it out at CNET at link:

http://www.download.com/SpywareBlast...ml?tag=lst-0-2

Spyware Blaster is the best I have found. Since using it, have had not one problem.

Just for information:
    If you wish to add or subtract from an Experts' reputation, or show appreciation or discontent with an answer, click on the "balance scales" icon by the Experts' name. You can then choose what you wish.

Best wishes,
    fredg
    lani Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2005, 11:42 PM
    Spyware
    Hi I'm new to this forum.

Not sure if you know it but spyware is generated by the freedom of your cookies .

When you go to a site the generaters of spy ware place a cookie on you're your sys just like a hidden pixel.

And from there they can load allsorts of stuff on you compt .

Now to try and stop some of this stuff you need to change your
    Cookie handling .

Sorry if I've been long winded about this .
    I'm trying to explain the reason why you get 96 percent of spyware.

OK go to IE -tools -internet options -privacy tab -advanced tab.

Check over ride cookie handling

In first party cookies - check prompt and in - third party cookies check block

Check allow session cookies.

Now when you go to a site a prompt will appear asking can a cookie be placed on your sys.
    You need to say no to the prompt.
    And that cookie will be aborted .
    Some times it takes a bit of practice to get it right.

I haven't had spyware for 4 years because of these settings.
    Good luck

For got to add I keep Adaware on and all it does is

Locates mru cache but no spyware.

I don't have spybot either.

Weather that is a plus or negative I'm no sure

Marty
    traka Posts: 50, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2005, 11:49 PM
    If you are new to broadband, I found a lot of advantages starts at the modem/router.( where you phone line plugs into.)
    Many companies offering "best deals we even provide a modem if you sign with us") are not interested in your security.

The best modems come from here:
    www.billion.com
    The best I have used is the 7500G and they have a 1800 number and forum if you stuck.
    Along with anti-spyware installed, you problems are over.

Nothing can be taken for granted these days anymore with online internet.
    It's "war" with spyware !
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Apr 1, 2005, 12:14 AM
    Yep its war against it, umm (wildta) hmm sounds like wild tangent, that stuff use to be loaded with spyware and once the spyware was removed it would keep on causing that, might not be wildtangent but I can't remember but I had a problem a long time ago with that.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 1, 2005, 06:53 AM
    Cookies-Fact and fiction
    Marty,
    Cookies have gotten an unfairly maligned reputation over the years. Your note doesn't really help that. Yes its true that SOME spy and ad ware systems use cookies to help gather the info they want, but that's not the only way its done. Also not all cookies are bad. Most cookies are helpful in that they can customize websites you frequent to your preferences.

Cookies are small text files that are placed on your system by some sites. All cookies do is store info a site can read and then use. Having a cookie on your system does NOT permit anyone to download anything to your PC.

I don't know where you get your 96% figure, but I don't believe its accurate. From what I have read, most spyware and some adware use programs that you download as part of something else. In fact, the user actually lets most of these things onto their system by agreeing to download some utility or another and not reading the EULA. That's why most of this junk is not illegal.

I agree however with your advice on how to handle cookies. I use a cookie manager on my home machine (Cookie Pal from Kburra). On my office machine, I use Trusted Sites (under Security Tab in Internet Options) to allow cookies from sites I trust.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Apr 1, 2005, 07:42 AM
    Cookies
    Hi,
    The following "cleaner" is a great free program; it also lets you store cookies, URL's, that you want to keep; while cleaning out junk files and other cookies.

http://www.ccleaner.com/

You can also specify other folders you want cleaned each time.
    Best wishes,
    fredg
    PS; If you haven't downloaded/installed Spyware Blaster yet, please do so. It keeps Spyware stuff from getting into the computer in the first place!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Going out of my mind! [ 3 Answers ]

Hey I need some help finding the name of a song I just don't know. I heard it awhile ago, it had something to do with "if you had to walk in their shoes", some one was a prostitute or a drug addict. I am not sure who sings this song or what the title is but I am sure it was a make singer. It had a...

Can't get her off my mind [ 5 Answers ]

Many of you have read this earlier in different strings but I can't get her off my mind. I met the most amazing woman 15 years ago but our lives were on different paths. There was a definite chemistry between us. However we never got together. Recently after a painful divorce for me and the...

Fan has mind of its own [ 5 Answers ]

I switched on my Carrier 58GS075-BA last weekend to cool down my house, and the fan never stopped running. The thermostat is in the off position, and the fan kept running, doesn't seem to matter if its on heat or cool. I stopped the fan with the on/off switch on the side of the furnace. Last night...

Computor shutdown [ 3 Answers ]

I have a old sony vaio (windows 98SE) edition, computer locks up frequently, I have 191. Mg ram running 77% free. I have installed spyware buster, seem to help, but still locking up. Any advice. Thanks Jerry

I have a mind of my own! [ 14 Answers ]

I am 17yrs old and I am going to get married to the most wonderful man I have ever met. He treats me well and is very mature (he is also 17, but will turn 18 in 2 months). He told my dad of my plans and he flipped! He thinks that I am doing it because my boyfriend said so. He raised me to be a very...

View more questions Search