Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ruth Moore Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2015, 07:06 AM
    Spot of paint bubbling up on outside of LPT52 WaterSaver water tank
    Model LPT52 purchase date 03/07/08. Spot of paint bubbling up on outside of tank and wet to the touch, indicating tank is rusting through. Has been kept under cover and not exposed to the elements. Our last tank lasted over 30 years, but this one is only 8 years old with only 5 year warranty. Can it be repaired? New tanks are much too expensive right now.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2015, 08:14 AM
    I would say no... the internal coating had a flaw or inclusion that allowed rust to start. What is on the inside will be significantly worse than the small portion that has worked its way to the outside. Being this is under pressure... when it fails.. its going to be spraying water under pressure, maybe a little...maybe a lot. And that can happen at any point of time now. Most likely at the least opportune moment. If this is inside your house..it could lead to flooding your basement before you notice.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 18, 2015, 06:10 PM
    Agree with above post. Replace the entire tank. I have never heard of anyone trying to repair rusting tank. Even when the tank is in sheltered enclosure ( or room ), it deals with condensation that occurs between the tank and tank cover that eventually makes the tank to rust. I would replace it from safety reasons.

Milo
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2015, 09:35 AM
    This is a pressure tank as I understand it, and not a water heater. In a bladder type tank, which this one is, the water does not come in contact with the side of the tank. It is contained in the bladder. Other than some condensation, the top of the tank is supposed to be air only. I would suggest you call the manufacturer and see what they say about this.

Never mind. This is a diaphragm tank as opposed to a bladder tank. Water does contact the side of the tank. My bad.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Have a septic tank, toilets keep bubbling and sinks are backing up... [ 3 Answers ]

Had the septic tank pumped in August, 2 months ago, but I am still having the same problem. The showers back up, the toilets fill up and bubble, and the sinks back up. What is the problem and what can I do that isn't costly? Cost me a few hundred dollars to have the septic tank pumped and it didn't...

Live on septic tank, downstairs toilet started bubbling, and now overflowing [ 9 Answers ]

Live on septic tank, downstairs toilet started bubbling and now is constantly overflowing

Water in toilets is bubbling and we are on a septic tank [ 1 Answers ]

The water in the toliets (2) and the kitchen sink seems to bubble. We have a septic system

Bubbling toilet tank [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I recently moved into this manufactured home and the toilet seems to have trouble filling up. There is about an inch of water in the tank and a rigid tube pointing into it is blowing bubbles. I tried adjusting amount of water coming into the toilet with the shut-off valve and the ballcock...

View more questions Search