Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    harbourwoods Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2005, 08:11 AM
    Win Zip Doesn't seem to Zip Well
    I am using Winzip 9, but it seems it doesn't compress files a lot. Here are a few examples:

Orginal: 2243 kb to 1950 kb

4928kb to 3688 KB

3514kb to 3467 kb

Some files are jpeg others Power Point.

I have to send a lot of files to an associate , so I am looking for an application that is universal.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 5, 2005, 09:09 AM
    Well JPG files are already compressed. You are not going to get very much additional compression. Not sure about the Powerpoint files.

ZIP compression will vary from file type to file type. For example JPG files generally compress further less than 5%. DBF files generally compress over 75%.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2005, 05:28 AM
    Xip File Program
    Hi,
    I have never really liked WinZip.
    I use a great, free program called Enzip; works well with all associations, all file names.

If you would like to try it, you can get it at:

http://website.lineone.net/~chris_m/

It compresses, decompresses, files to any folder you wish, with a Right click on any file.

Just for information:
    If you wish to add or subtract from an Experts' reputation, or show appreciation or discontent with an answer, click on the "balance scales" icon by the Experts' name. You can then choose what you wish.

Best wishes,
    fredg

Mar 6, 2005, 11:42 AM
    Harbour,
    Just a point to add here. I've used Enzip in the past and it's a good program, and it's a freeware. I personally prefer Winzip since it can do much more. But BOTH programs are the same under the hood. When they are dealing with the ZIP format they are using the SAME algorithms to compress a file. Otherwise, You couldn't open a ZIP file created with EnZip with WinZip or vice versa. The ZIP format has become the main standard for compression.

So from the standpoint of compression, it doesn't matter what shell you use. Whether you use EnZip, WinZip or the original PKZIP. The compressed size will be essentially the same. It might differ a few bytes from machine to machine, but not significantly.

As I answered, the issue is not what you use to compress, but the format you are compressing.
    Wendy225 Posts: 240, Reputation: 4

Mar 22, 2005, 09:46 PM
    More
    I use Winrar as my number compression utility and then keep Winzip around as needed, I like Winace also, these and others can either do it all, or do some of what the others do, but I prefer the original programs.

Powerarchiver is excellent also.

I usually zip and rar together.
    sevana Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2005, 01:09 AM
    Try http://www.7-zip.org/

Quote Originally Posted by harbourwoods
    I am using Winzip 9, but it seems it doesn't compress files a lot. Here are a few examples:

4928kb to 3688 KB

3514kb to 3467 kb

I have to send a lot of files to an associate , so I am looking for an application that is universal.

Apr 7, 2005, 03:34 AM
    Winzip Doesn't Seem to Zip Well
    Thanks everyone for the explanation. I have expanded my knowledge again.
    sevana Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2005, 03:52 AM
    Archive them with 7zip, protect your archives with password, use FTP for file exchange (get a free file storage place if you don't have your own)

4928kb to 3688 KB

3514kb to 3467 kb

fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2005, 06:35 AM
    Enzip
    Hi,
    I still use Enzip, and it does work beautifully; with anything I need to do.
    Opinions vary.
    Best wishes,
    fredg

Apr 7, 2005, 07:06 AM
    I just tried Enzip, it was hard to find, at download.com and a couple other main sites, it was unavailable, so I kept searching and found it.

Mainly Enzip is just a plain vanilla copy of Winzip, just does not quite offer as much, that's the only differences I found. If anyone wanted an alternative, PowerARchiver is the only other one, that could compete with either winzip or anything else.

In my book, just for zipping programs, its Winzip with Powerarchiver just a notch below, then the plain looking lower performing Enzip last.

I make a part time living, out of testing programs for review websites and this was my latest category, and I would definitely recommend Winzip over the rest.

Enzip is fine, if your zipping needs are plain simple and small.

And also, here are 2 examples of a test on a photo,
    Original photo size.
    Winrar compressed it to 38,513
    Winzip 39,616
    Enzip 39,619

So actually Winrar compresss more than either, I did many different sized phots and files, Winrar always compresses them more than those 2, Winrar also unzips, zip files and as far as speed goes, not much difference in the 3.

The larger and more files you compress, the more the difference is between Winrar and the other 2, the more you space you save the larger the files.

So Winrar is the true no. 1 Compression program, it's just as simple as any to use, using enzip and winzip, except for the looks, you would not know you were using a dfferent program, and you would only see the other difference, if you needed many more options and then Winzip offers more than Enzip.

Final Decision, you want the Maximum Compression that's simple.
    1. Winrar
    2. Winzip
    3. PowerArchiver
    4. Winace
    5. Enzip So it looks like that the users of Enzip just happens to be a personal preference and not a fact based decision.

Apr 7, 2005, 09:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sevana
    Archive them with 7zip, protect your archives with password, use FTP for file exchange (get a free file storage place if you don't have your own)
    What do you recommend for Free File Storage.
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Apr 7, 2005, 04:52 PM
    I second 7-zip.

It's quite good compression-wise, and it's LGPL...

I just tried Enzip, it was hard to find, at download.com and a couple other main sites, it was unavailable, so I kept searching and found it.
    I don't suppose you tried google?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2005, 04:56 PM
    What do you recommend for Free File Storage.
    Yahoo Briefcase perhaps?

Apr 7, 2005, 05:04 PM
    Thanks Wendy for the reply.

Apr 7, 2005, 08:11 PM
    Yes
    Psi, that was a very stupid comment, if it was serious, did I try Google,
    When I say I could not find it, I tried the top 5 results of Google, enzip was there advertized, but when you clicked download it was unavailble, I only found it on a very small obscure website, Google is set as my home page, and if you think I may be that stupid, I will gladly put my PC knowledge against anyone anyday on here.

Apr 8, 2005, 06:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendy225
    And also, here are 2 examples of a test on a photo,
    Original photo size.
    Winrar compressed it to 38,513
    Winzip 39,616
    Enzip 39,619
    Interesting numbers. But it bears out what I said earlier. I assume the photo you compressed was a JPG. The max compression you got with WinRAR was less than 5%. Is it worth compressing a phot just to save that little bit? Not in my opinion.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search