Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KaraJean Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2007, 07:11 PM
    What Is Being a Christian?
    I can't seem to understand the different denominations of Christianity. I would like to able to catagorize what I believe in. I believe in God, But I don't think that religion has to be learned in a church. Also I Don't believe God has expectations in what we must do in our lifes and that we can pray to him anytime anywhere. Church doesn't always need a steeple and preachers don't always show their truths? What Denomination would my beliefs most likely fit under?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 11, 2007, 07:23 PM
    And this is why you have 1000 denominations today, everyone today has what they want or what to believe or not to believe and start a new church every day to meet what they want in a church.

In general what you need to do is actually forget what you think or want and look and read what the bible tells you what the church is and how the church formed. I won't preach that to you, since you need to find that yourself in the bible.
    chaplain john Posts: 79, Reputation: 28

Apr 20, 2007, 01:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KaraJean
    I can't seem to understand the different denominations of Christianity. I would like to able to catagorize what I believe in. I belive in God, But I dont think that religion has to be learned in a church. Also I Dont believe God has expectations in what we must do in our lifes and that we can pray to him anytime anywhere. Church doesnt always need a steeple and preachers dont always show their truths? What Denomination would my beliefs most likely fit under?
    Fr Chuck is right!

But in answer to the first part of your question being a Christian is being a follower of the teachings of Christ Jesus... Early Christians were said to show so much love, to be so Christ like that they were that they were dubbed Christians.

Also I would like to interject one of the best arguments for attending church regularly. It is the example of a glowing coal taken out of a fireplace and placed on the hearth in front of it. In a very short time it tends to put on a layer of gray ash and cool. Left alone it will eventually go out but if it is placed back into the fire with the other coals it will glow merrily and continue to give heat for sometime. Christians are much like that, if they remain away from others of similar belief they will often begin to cool and slowly lose their desire to please God.

I urge you to read your Bible. Then find a church in your area that teaches the whole Bible, not just little pieces of it here and there, settle into that church and learn all you can (take advantage of the education of others to build a foundation of knowledge to work from) and then lend your own hands to making it easier for others to see the light of the Gospel.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2007, 01:32 AM
    Good answers above.

In answer to your question, I would go to a church and see what happens in their service. Speak with the Pastor. See what he or she has to say. Also, weigh and see how it fits with what you believe.

Attend on a regular basis, a Bible study.

Part of being a Christian means being a part of an army of like followers of Christ. It is not something that is well done by yourself alone.

Being part of a Christian community is paramount to being a follower of Christ and being a Christian.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What type of christian are you? [ 90 Answers ]

I want to know how many different types of christianity there are, and what they do. If you are reading this and you are a christian, what is the name of your group? And how do you know you are the right group? Do your prayers get answered and if so, how? I am a christian, but I feel discouraged...

On Being a Christian [ 14 Answers ]

What did Jesus tell his disciples they should do? And, if someone does those things, is he then a Christian, or is there something more that he must do that Jesus did not mention? Will all Christians be saved? What does Jesus say about that? M:)RGANITE

Do you know the name this christian song? [ 3 Answers ]

I don't know the name of this song and I've been trying to search it but I can't figure it out! :confused: the lyrics are: Here at your thrown Here at your feet Resting my head upon your altar Your fire consuming me Hearing your voice Speaking your word Wipering to my heart Like...

Christian [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I am Mich3. I was looking for a Christian page. Is there one here?

Traditionally christian [ 7 Answers ]

I've always considered myself religious... I could never accept that there is nothing more than the life we've got now... But I don't know where I fit into the different religeions... I have an incling that its christian, But you hear about being christian is giving your whole life over to the...

View more questions Search