Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    coblas Posts: 137, Reputation: 2

Oct 8, 2015, 10:49 AM
    Is there a conding concern when using Quikrete self-leveling over Xypex?
    I need to reinstall a six-stair unit and self-hung door unit which lead into my basement. The area in question allowed water seepage and the stairs and door were removed to allow for treatment of the concrete floor and cold joint with Xypex Patch 'n Plug and Concentrate. Now the person who did this work (and is located 300 miles away) is sick and unable to complete it. The carpenters who have looked at it all were apprehensive about the irregular floor surface created by the Xypex application.

The floor area is essentially a rectangular floor (with walls on 3 sides) about 64" deep x 36" wide x a maximum of .75" high (variable due to the irregular floor surface).

I wonder if one of Quikrete's self-leveling products would be good to use. Quikrete said they haven't tested any of their products over Xypex so they don't know if there might be a bond problem. They said to contact Xypex who said to contact Quikrete. Any suggestions?

(I entered this as an exterior home although it's in a basement.)
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 8, 2015, 10:53 AM
    I am surprised that the carpenters are having an issue with an irregular floor. It is very easy to cut stringers so the stairs will be level, easier than pouring a floor.
    coblas Posts: 137, Reputation: 2

Oct 8, 2015, 11:06 AM
    The stair unit was made like interior stairs with oak treads and risers, and with the bottom of the stringers and the bottom step resting on the floor. The person who removed it did a very careful job with the intention of installing it the same way. Scribing along the bottom would be very difficult, which is why I wondered about a self-leveling product.

The stairs are on the finished side of the door that goes up to another level of the house. They're not actually in the basement, but lead down to it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leveling a pool [ 5 Answers ]

I purchased a 27ft x 52ft round and I am having trouble keeping it level. We used a new sand mixture under the liner. I have a slope in the yard and we used the sand mixture and then we added stone dust. The pool is level all around, but when we add water the pool wall comes out of the track in one...

Leveling in the us [ 8 Answers ]

The overall median personal income for all individuals over the age of 18 was $25,149 Personal income in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Would you like to do the same job that you do for that salary ? Salaries

Old Porch that needs leveling [ 7 Answers ]

I have purchase an older home with te front porch that has no foundaiton, It is made of rock but needs to be leveled, it is sinking and that is throwing the columns off. I have thought I could jack up the front porch and repour a foundation under the columns.

Ground Leveling [ 1 Answers ]

Hello everyone! How can I level my house surroundings? There are a fairly log distances between several ground points. Thanks for any reply in advance. Someone from the beautiful Island of Kos in the Aegean Sea (Greece).

Leveling for a shed [ 3 Answers ]

I just bought an 8X12 wooded shed kit for my backyard (including floor kit). I will not be using concrete, unless this is recommended? My problem is that I have a very unlevel yard. A local stone company recommended stone to level it, is this a good idea? Also where I want to put it is a low...

View more questions Search