Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bim1er Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2015, 08:42 AM
    Can smoking marijuana once or twice a week cause memory problems?
    So I am 17 and I have the SATs coming up in November 7th. I score around 1900 and believe with a bit more practice I can break the 2000 barrier. However, I smoke marijuana. I don't smoke it everyday but once or twice a week and sometimes once in two weeks. I have been smoking it continuously in the past but I stopped the daily habit because it made me less productive. What I have noticed is I get withdrawal symptoms from continuously smoking it. If I stop for near a month and smoke it only occasionally I feel normal. I get no anxiety, no insomnia and can focus as much as possible with no problems. I also don't crave it at all, I have no needs for it either. I just smoke it because I like it, the way it makes me feel all happy for no reason. I was just wondering if smoking it even a bit could cause me to score lower. Could the drug cause me to not perform at my peak level?
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2015, 09:31 AM
    Long term use has show that it does effect memory and several other things. It will keep you from performing at your peak level. If you were getting withdrawl symptoms.. you were more than the occasional smoker. Problem is the people around you notice these things far more than the user does. (and I seen that for over 40 years now).

If you CRAVE anything particularly a substance or beer etc... that is a large red flag you have or are developing an addiction or dependence on that substance.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2015, 02:41 PM
    Uh, uh, uh, I can't remember.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 8, 2015, 04:13 PM
    The once or twice is still a habit and an addiction. Only staying off it, till there is no issues will ever solve the problem.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 8, 2015, 04:22 PM
    Any mind or mood altering drug and alcohol can adversely affect the natural development of the less than 100% formed teenage brain.
    Bim1er Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2015, 07:49 AM
    Thank you for your answers. So not smoking the substance at all can not only allow me to score higher but help me throughout my life?
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 9, 2015, 09:04 AM
    There are no guarantees for success in life by abstaining from alcohol, and drugs, but you certainly eliminate the risks and pitfalls that using drugs presents.

Even a dopehead can win the lottery, but only a dopehead sees winning a lottery as his BEST option for riches, and success. Do you understand my drift?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 9, 2015, 09:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Bim1er View Post
    Thank you for your answers. So not smoking the substance at all can not only allow me to score higher but help me throughout my life?

Yup, that's really a no brainer.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 9, 2015, 09:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Yup, that's really a no brainer.
    Actually, no brain if he smokes.... ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can't sleep after not smoking marijuana [ 4 Answers ]

So I'm 17, going to turn 18 and I stopped smoking weed about 2 weeks ago. The only withdrawal symptom I have had is probably difficulty falling asleep and staying asleep or insomnia but I'm still not sure if it actually is. I previously stopped before exams around last year December but it was...

Hi, I quit smoking marijuana about a week and a half ago, I have been smoking it regu [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I quit smoking marijuana about a week and a half ago, I have been smoking it regularly for 9 months on two separate occasions I had a severe cough from smoking too much and a little streak of blood came out, now since I quit I don't cough or anything my mucus is clear but occasionally when I...

Smoking marijuana around a toddler [ 10 Answers ]

My daughter smokes heavy marijuana around my 21mo old grandson. You smell it in the car house and even in his clothes what can I do about it

What are the laws that prevent smoking marijuana around toddlers? [ 1 Answers ]

What are the laws that prevent smoking marijuana around toddlers?

First time smoking Marijuana [ 5 Answers ]

The day before mothers day I tasted Pot, but I haven't smoked the whole thing, I smoked it to experience it. I only took a smoke but it was a deep one, and I started to cough for about 5 to 10 minutes. I only smoked it once, now I have an appointment with the doctor on Tuesday, and she's going to...

View more questions Search