Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    123diddle Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2007, 06:44 PM
    Repayment options
    I have a couple of different questions..

First of I was rear-ended in February, the person that hit me has no insurance. My vehicle was totaled and the insurance is only paying $5000 to my lien holder leaving me a total of $3000 left due. I have been paying on the vehicle since 2001, and I did NOT have gap insurance. The loan company that holds the title to my vehicle is now requesting the entire $3000 at once or continued payment of my previous car payments. If I don't comply they are threatening garnishment. Do I have to pay this at their requests or can I make payments as I can afford?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 11, 2007, 07:16 PM
    You will havve to pay your reguar payment if you did not pay the loan off in full. If you don't, you will be in default of the loan and they may sue you. If they sue you and get a judgement they can garnish your pay.

did you owe that much more than the value of the car?

Next of course you are to sue the other driver for your loss and try to garnish his wages also.
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Apr 12, 2007, 03:11 AM
    Assuming you got the ACV (Actual cash value) of your totaled car from the at fault party's insurance company, in other words you received a fair settlement, I don't see where they, (the ins company) and their insured are responsible and don't think any court would therefore give you a judgement against the at fault party. You were paid for your loss and it's not either of their's legal responsibility to pay your loan off. One should hopefully never owe more on a vehicle than it's worth, of course, it usually realistically doesn't always work that way often since many car dealers, high interest lenders want to sell a car or make a loan. I think you just have to continue to pay your unsual payment if your lender will let you do that. Keep in mind that there is no collateral now for their loan and they could probably require full payment now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Repayment to insurance company [ 2 Answers ]

I was involved in an auto incident last year in where I was struck by a motorist in CA without auto insurance. I received my policy check from my own auto insurance from my uninsured motorist coverage. I had to have surgery as a result of the accident and my personal health insurance paid for it...

Sign on bonus repayment [ 1 Answers ]

I have to repay my sign on bonus because I resign from my job before I had completed 1 year of employment. My sign on bonus was $5,000 gross and $3,217.5 net after tax (which I received). My company asks me to pay back $4,617.5. I don't understand why I should reimburse more than the net I have...

Loan Repayment [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I hope I can get some good advice on this site as I am a new user. I loaned $1000.00 to a person that said he would pay me that coming Monday, that was 6 months ago. I have received $200.00 from a check that he gave and I have a copy of the check and I also have a copy of the check that I...

Re bonus repayment [ 1 Answers ]

My employer notified me that I have to repay my bonus $6k after tax. The gross amount was $10k. What is interesting is that they told me if I don't repay by their cutoff date for 2005 adjustments I will have to pay close to the entire amount per the IRS. Can anyone point me to where in the...

View more questions Search