Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Juanitab Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2015, 04:50 PM
    Have another question. The pump and tank on up a hill from our house, when I turn o
    Have another question. The pump and tank on up a hill from our house, when I turn on a faucet at the bottom out side it causes the pump to stop pumping water. I have to turn off everything and let the pump refill the 52 gal tank. What to do to fix this? And it takes 5-6 minutes to recycle, is that normal or not?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 6, 2015, 05:06 PM
    You need to go back and post this on your original question, we can not see what you were talking about earlier.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Oct 6, 2015, 05:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    You need to go back and post this on your original question, we can not see what you were talking about earlier.
    It is the one about the pressure tank.

Oct 7, 2015, 12:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    I thought that is what I did!!
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Oct 8, 2015, 04:08 AM
    Let's start over.
    You have a well and tank (up on a hill). Describe that well and tank.
    How deep is the well, what kind of pump, submersible or above ground, how far from the house?
    You say the pump turns off when you open an outside faucet. Is that faucet a part of you house plumbing or has a separate line been run to it from the well.

You say the pump turns off, how do you restart it.

In other words describe your complete set up.

It is totally illogical for a well pump to shut down because a faucet is opened.

Oct 8, 2015, 01:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    Let's start over.
    You have a well and tank (up on a hill). Describe that well and tank.
    How deep is the well, what kind of pump, submersible or above ground, how far from the house?
    You say the pump turns off when you open an outside faucet. Is that faucet a part of you house plumbing or has a separate line been run to it from the well.

You say the pump turns off, how do you restart it.

In other words describe your complete set up.

It is totally illogical for a well pump to shut down because a faucet is opened.
    The pump is not shutting down it is still running it just stops pumping water. The well is 130 ft deep in FL, the pump is above the ground with the 52 gal tank. The faucet is in line with the house water it is at the bottom of the hill the pump is on and the house in on another hill past that faucet but not as high as the one the pump is on, we have been using this set up for years with a smaller tank, it is still doing good as long as I do not open that one faucet at the bottom of the hill. I guess as long as it is working and we know not to turn on that faucet we will be OK. Thank you so much for all your help and I appreciate your time and fast response that really helped me a lot.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2015, 04:10 PM
    If your pump is running nonstop, then you are not OK by any stretch as you'll use up a pump much sooner. If the pump just runs and runs, then you need to adjust the cut off pressure down. That's done at the switch. With the power off, remove the cover from the switch and turn the large, center nut counterclockwise one full turn. Turn the power back on and see what that does. Keep at it until you reach a point where the pump will cut off.

Once you find out what pressure the pump can get to and cutoff, then you'll have a better idea of how the pump is performing. BTW, I don't think the larger tank is an issue at all.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Oct 8, 2015, 05:14 PM
    You have a 52 gal tank. That means you have approximately 18-20 gallons stored in the tank when pump shuts off. If it takes 5-6 minutes to reach maximum pressure and shut off, that means you are pumping approximately 3 gallons per minute.
    A kitchen faucet has a flow rate of about 2 gallons per minute. I don't know what the flow rate of a hose bib is but a kitchen faucet is approximately 2 gallons per minute. A hose bib would have a far greater flow rate.

When you open the hose bib and use the water stored in the tank, you will then only get the water that the pump is pumping. So if the pump is pumping 3 gallons per minute and the hose has a flow rate of 4 gallons per minute, all the water from the pump will go out the hose bib. There just is nothing left to go to the house which is at a higher elevation.

If you were to open the kitchen faucet and a shower valve at the same time (with the hose bib closed) you wold see significant drop in flow and pressure after the tank has emptied (approx 5-6 minutes).

If this is unsatisfactory the only solution would be a larger pump.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it OK to turn the air pump off in a fish tank with a Betta? [ 2 Answers ]

So the pump has been running for about 4 hours and I turned it off so I could sleep at night without the noise but I just want to make sure that my betta will be OK. I've heard that it's bad and I've also heard that they can survive without it. But I'd turn the pump back on In the morning anyway...

Frozen pipe from well pump to tank, tank problem, burned out pump? [ 0 Answers ]

Help. Frozen pipes have been heated in 50+ degree housing for the last 10 hours. Tank charge reading 36 PSI (bladder tank), pressure gage reading 40 psi, open valve next to gage and no water. Pressure gage was originally reading zero prior to application of direct heat on pipe. Am I looking at a...

Replacing a water pump pressure tank in house [ 8 Answers ]

Our water pump is cycling every 4 minutes or so for no apparent reason. We have been in the crawl space but cannot find any water leaking or running anywhere. What can be the problem and how quickly do we need to get it fixed?

Switch to turn off water pump once the tank if full [ 1 Answers ]

We live on top of the hill. Water is pumped from down below. Our water pump stays on even after the tank is full. How can I make it turn off once the tank above is full? Are there pump switches that turn the pump off once the tank is full?

Size of Copper/pvc inside new home to max pressure from 3,000 gl tank on hill [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am building a new home in the country and have a 3000 gallon water tank 75 verticle above my (future) second story. I was going to have either 2" sch 40 pvc or 1 1/4" come down the 160 feet to my home. And then I wanted to know what is the largest copper pipe I could use inside the home to...

View more questions Search