Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Houlez Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2015, 12:46 PM
    Kitchen sink backs up when I drain the basement sink
    I re-installed a sink up stairs( it has no vent). I changed nothing but the sink and the p-trap. But when I fill the sink down stairs it backs up into the kitchen sink when I drain it? Talked with the previous owners and they stated that that never happened, but they never filled and drained the sink in the basement before. If I install a vent upstairs will this solve the issue?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Oct 5, 2015, 02:14 PM
    But when I fill the sink down stairs it backs up into the kitchen sink when I drain it?
    I don't see how that is possible. For that to happen, water would have to run uphill. Assuming of course that the kitchen is above the basement.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Oct 5, 2015, 03:56 PM
    Guessing here...

But it's possible that the sink in the basement has a laundry pump on it. If this is the case, then the drain line that the basement sink pumps into (and kitchen sink drains into by gravity) is clogged and the drain will need to be snaked to resolve the issue. Installing a vent will not fix the issue...

Mark
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 5, 2015, 05:14 PM
    Do you know if your main sewer pipe exits the home through the basement floor or through the wall?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kitchen sink backs up between sink and disposal [ 1 Answers ]

I live in a mobile home. I have a double sink with disposal on the left side. The water will not go down the regular side of the sink. It is backing up into the disposal. I used a plunger and the water transfers between both side. I removed and snaked the line for about 15 feet. Half filled the...

Basement floor drain backup when kitchen sink used [ 1 Answers ]

Hello - Our garbage disposal was clogged up and my son plunged the heck out of it while I was at work. He heard a "whoosh" and in our basement furnace room, the floor drain had flooded up and over the floor. I cleaned it all up. My question is - we have run all toilets, sinks, washer, and...

Yikes! Washer drain water backs up into kitchen sink! [ 6 Answers ]

I recently relocated my laundry machine into a newly converted laundry room. I am having a problem with Drain water from Washing machine backing up in my kitchen sink. I installed a circular rubber seal on drain pipe at the opening, using caulk. The rubber disk creates a tight seal around the...

Basement drain back up after kitchen sink used [ 1 Answers ]

After washing dinner dishes and running garbage disposal... basement drain overflowed with bits of dinner present. This drain has always had water in it, but never to the top. Now, flooding with use of kitchen sink/disposal. Thanks, kay111

Basement drain backup after Kitchen sink did [ 2 Answers ]

Help!! This evening, my kitchen sink backed up... which I used liquid plumber to unlcog it and it worked... then when I went into the basement, the drain in the wash room was backed up with stuff all over the place. I have a plumber on the way. My brother tells me that it is most likely the tree...

View more questions Search