Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gunnergill85 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2015, 11:18 AM
    Low water pressure
    Hi,

We just purchased a house approx 34 years old. The issue is that when we have any faucet on in the house and turn on another faucet, the second one does not even result in a drop of water coming out. THis has made it very difficult because it affects all the water supply in the whole house including shower/bathroom, kitchen etc. Also, even if someone flushes the toilet and we turn on the faucet in the house , the faucet won't result in any water coming out and vice versa. This house has city water. Basically, if one facuet,shower, or toilet is being used then the other faucets, toilets, or showers won't work without it the first or second being affected severely. Plese provide some feedback.

Thanks!
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Oct 5, 2015, 12:26 PM
    First make sure that the stop valve where the water line enters the house is fully open. If it is open, then make sure that the curb stop valve, the stop valve at the meter (usually at the street) is fully open.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Oct 5, 2015, 02:54 PM
    I agree with hkstroud. Being on the market its possible the service was terminated its likely it was shut off (in which case the meter is usually removed until the new account is opened) at some point and possibly not fully opened later.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 5, 2015, 04:57 PM
    Make sure all shut off valves in your house are in OPEN position - and functional. Gate valves ( the ones with round handle ) may be open all the way but the interior moving part may be stuck, inhibiting water flow. Happens all the time.

Also, see if you can trace your water pipes. There may be a kink somewhere on main water line, or another shut off valve that is not open all the way.

Go in front of your house, close main water valve, remove Pressure Regulator ( if you have one ) and turn water ON. See how much pressure and volume you get before water enters house.

Make sure your main water valve ( at the curb ) is OPEN all the way. Partially open valve will cut down water flow

Back to you

Milo
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 5, 2015, 05:10 PM
    You said pressure but this sounds like a volume issue. Do you know how to measure your actual water pressure? You can buy an inexpensive pressure gauge and attach it to your hot water tank drain to measure the pressure. 200 Pound Water Pressure Gauge - Orbit 91130 If your true pressure is below 40 psi call the city, if the psi is 40 or higher get a plumber to replace your main shut off.
    Questionair Posts: 53, Reputation: 4

Oct 8, 2015, 09:46 AM
    Check the valves listed above, those are probably the main issue, if that does not work I suggest checking your water pressure, and getting back to us. You might need a circulator pump to get the water where it needs to go.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Private well,with water softener,low overall pressure,very low after toilet flush [ 3 Answers ]

Low water pressure.If you flush the toilet or have washing machine filling,water barely dribbles out faucet at any location in house. If you are taking a shower the pressure to start shower is not great and diminishes during the shower. It would seem to be a water volume problem. The pressure tank...

Hot water pressure great but VERY low cold water pressure [ 5 Answers ]

I just moved into a trailer that is 16 years old. It is on a private lot so we are on a well. After moving the trailer on the lot we hooked the water up including holding tank. After getting trailer set up we discovered we have great hot water pressure but very little cold water. So I replaced...

Low cold water pressure, good hot water pressure on well system [ 0 Answers ]

Have a house on a well system. House is 24 years old, and over past year have noticed a continual decrease in cold water pressure. Hot water is fine. Well system maintains roughly a 42- 46 psi. The house has 40 psi at main line. House had flexible plastic water lines throughout, When flow...

Low hot water pressure on a kitchen sink, good cold water pressure [ 4 Answers ]

I have a single faucet sink where the cold water pressure is fine and all other sinks have good hot and cold water pressure. I replaced the kitchen faucet two years ago along with new lines. As of late I'm getting very little hot water pressure along with having to run the water for about 10...

Low water pressure-copper pipe-city pressure has been checked-pressure low at any fix [ 20 Answers ]

Low water pressure copper pipe low at all fixtures and faucets. City has checked pressure. They installed new shutoff in streetalso. They checked meter and was OK. I am orignal owner feed from street is 3/4".copper house also. House built in 1972. Problem started 6 months ago. I am at whits...

View more questions Search