Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fix this pipe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2015, 03:20 PM
    3/4 inch copper pipe under slab going to Master Bath
    We have a hot water leak under the slab, Leak Detection Co. came out and said it is here. Popped up 1 tile poked through 5 inch slab. Found the pipe but could not get to leak. I tried following the pipe for 2 ft. but the slab went from 5 inches to 24 inches and the pipe is in the concrete. The area is right were hot and cold comes out of the ground. Cut one of the 3/4 inch pipes (hot) and capped. Figured out it is the pipe running to master bath. I want to use Pex tubing in attic over to master bath. Where does the 3/4 inch pipe usually come out of ground in Master Bath. Would it be in the middle of the shower and tub area. The leak detection co. marked a spot and said the pipes are here, I popped a hole outside in the stucco and they were hot and cold pipes coming out of the ground but they are 1/2 inch not 3/4
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Oct 4, 2015, 03:44 PM
    Hi FTP

Unfortunately, there is simply no standard place where pipes come out of a slab in a bathroom. In many slab jobs, there is a central location the pipes come out of the ground (under a vanity, in a closet, behind the shower at the shower valve, etc.) and then they run pipes to each fixture from that central spot as you suspect.

If you isolate these 1/2" pipes from the slab piping and feed air into them it may be that you will be able to tell exactly which fixtures get supplied by the pipes...maybe? If you are lucky, these 1/2" pipes feed entire bathroom...

Back to you..

Mark
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 4, 2015, 05:10 PM
    As Mark stated above, there is no set system to such installations. Every plumber does it his way.

Years back, when we used to install soft copper under slab, we ran 3/4" pipe from bathroom to bathroom, in loops, and always ended up behind a tub or shower. From there we distributed 1/2" lines to individual fixtures in that bathroom. But that was our way of running pipes.

It really takes an experienced plumber to trace it the way so you don't end up with too much floor / wall damage. People who trace pipes are not necessarily "it". See if you can get an old plumber over to help you with it.

Milo
    Questionair Posts: 53, Reputation: 4

Oct 8, 2015, 10:01 AM
    Also rememeber if you are replacing with PEX the inside diameter is about a quarter less than copper pipe. So a 3/4 inch PEX pipe is roughly 5/8'' copper tube size.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the 1/2 inch copper drain pipe coming from my slab outside my home? [ 15 Answers ]

I have a 1/2 inch copper pipe that is a 90 degree to the ground coming out of my slab on the outside of the home. It has never had water come from it before that I know. The water is not "running" out at a high speed, but is more than a drip for sure. It is cold water. It is not near any hot...

How do I connect 3 inch sch 40 to 3 inch copper . The o. D. Of the copper is 3 inch [ 2 Answers ]

I am remodeling an old house with all copper plumbing except for the cast iron that comes out of the basement floor. Some of the copper drain line is bad so I am trying to connect to the copper with sch 40 3 inch pipe. I can't seem to find a no hub band to make the connection. The o.d. of the...

How to connect 1 1/2 inch copper pipe to PVC [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1 11/2 in diameter copper drain pipe and need to connect it to a PVC pipe. What's the best way to do this? Thanks

Finding copper pipe under a slab [ 10 Answers ]

Morning, Yesterday I discovered my 4th hot water slab leak in a year. Wife not happy again. I have decided to quit tearing up the slab water lines and install Zurn PEX with a polysleve in the attic crawl space. Not much head room on a 36' wide 3/12 pitch roof Stats: North Texas, zero degrees...

Copper pipe in the slab [ 5 Answers ]

In moving our kitchen to another part of the house, I discovered (after removing the old floor cabinets) that the plumbing seems rather "unusual". The 3/4" lines comes out of the floor (slab) to go up to the old sink, but then cross over above the slab about a foot before then going down again...

View more questions Search