Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Daasolo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2015, 03:17 PM
    3 day quit without 30 day notice is this legal
    I have been renting 2 years 11 months and the management co. I was renting from no longer runs the property. And now I have been served with a 3 day quit without advanced notice. Is this legal and it is under rent control?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Oct 4, 2015, 03:39 PM
    Were you late on the rent? If so yes they can. Pay or quit means pay what you owe within 3 days of being served notice in full or start packing your bags because they will be filing for eviction if you don't.

You can be living there 20 years...most places they can decide they just don't want to continue renting to you. WHat city and state do you live?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 5, 2015, 08:50 AM
    First any question on law needs to include your general locale as laws vary by area.

A 3 day "pay or quit" notice is used when there is a breach of the lease (usually non payment of rent). It is perfectly legal to give a pay or quit notice when this happens.

I'm going to take a guess here (given that you are 1 month shy of 3 years), that you were planning on moving so didn't pay the last months rent figuring your security would cover it. If that is the case, then it doesn't work that way. And, if you don't pay within the 3 days or vacate, then can start eviction proceedings. I also suspect that the previous mgmt co was more lax on enforcing the rental due date and the new one is more stringent. Rent is due on the date provided in the lease. If it is even one day late it is late, unless the lease gives you a grace period. Even then depending on the wording of the grace period clause, the grace period is only for when a late charge is imposed and not for when the rent is considered late.

Is your apartment under rent control? Even if it is, you are still required to pay the stated rent. Rent control only governs how much and how often the rent can be raised.

For us to help further you need to tell us when the rent was due, whether you have paid it or what reason was given for the notice. And you general locale.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 5, 2015, 08:30 PM
    I will have to agree with the other, in most places, if you are in breach, (like not paying or being late) this is the correct action to take.

Please tell us why they gave this to you?
    poojaraj Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2015, 12:33 AM
    It is under the rent control and its legal in many cases.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 28, 2015, 04:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by poojaraj View Post
    It is under the rent control and its legal in many cases.
    The OP was ASKING if it was under rent control. There was no indication it was.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a Landlord give me a 3-Day notice plus a 30 Day notice to quit all at once? [ 7 Answers ]

Hello I need to please know what is the legal procedure to an eviction notice? My fiancé and I and my 3 children use to live in Buena Park in Orange County and we still currently work in Orange County and comute Mon-Fri about 1hr and 15mins each way. When we heard from a far away causing...

Can I give a 30 day notice after receiving a 3 day notice to quit [ 4 Answers ]

My landlord gave me a 3 day notice to quit. He gave it to me just shy two weeks before I was gonnna put in my 30 day notice..

Is a text a legal notice for a 5 day quit in va? [ 6 Answers ]

Is a text a legal notice for a 5 day quit in the state of Virginia?

My landlord gave me a 3 Day Notice To Quit after I had given him a notice to move by [ 17 Answers ]

My landlord gave me a 3 Day Notice to Pay or Quite after I had given him a notice to Vacate by 3/1/10. In the notice I included that my double deposit was to be used for rent. I feel this is very retaliatory as the deposit covers 2 months of rent, which I will be out before the full two months,...

30 Day Notice to move and A 3 Day pay Or Quit [ 14 Answers ]

I submitted a 30 day notice to move on 4-17-2009 to vacate on 5-17-2009. On 5-4-2009 my landlord put a 3 day notice to pay or quit on my door. Is this even legal? And are late fees legal to charge in California?

View more questions Search