Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tennman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2015, 02:52 PM
    Sewer smell in upstairs bathroom
    I live in a two story house built in 1978 hooked up on sewer. When the clothes washer is used downstairs there is a sewer smell in the upstairs bathroom. I did not notice the smell was while the washer was used early on. So I have replaced the wax seal under the toilet. All the sinks,toilets , showers drain as they should. What should be my next step of elimination? Thanks in advance for reading my post and any suggestions.
    Tieger plumbing Posts: 2, Reputation: 4

Oct 4, 2015, 08:24 AM
    If the washing machine discharges and you have the sewer smell it could be caused by a blocked vent and the washing machine is causing negative effect

In other words the seal of the traps upstairs are being compromised by back pressure and puling water (trap seal) out of the trap
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 4, 2015, 03:12 PM
    Make sure all traps upstairs have water in them. Also, make sure all plumbing fixtures have traps. Look under sinks and shine flash light into shower drain. There should be standing water

Back to you

Milo
    Questionair Posts: 53, Reputation: 4

Oct 8, 2015, 10:04 AM
    I agree with tieger plumbing, it is most likely a blocked vent. Call a professional to check it out if the problem persists.
    Tennman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2015, 07:17 PM
    Hey guys thanks for the replies. Recently I have had both vents on top of the house snaked 50ft. Ran water down both as well. Also snaked the clean out 50ft. We intended to snake the washer discharge pipe as well but the snake was to big. The smell in the upstairs bathroom is still there once the washer is used. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I look forward to any responses. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Milo Dolezal View Post
    Make sure all traps upstairs have water in them. Also, make sure all plumbing fixtures have traps. Look under sinks and shine flash light into shower drain. There should be standing water

Back to you

Milo
    Checked and all the traps upstairs do have water in them. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Mike45plus Posts: 230, Reputation: 27

Oct 27, 2015, 03:39 AM
    Tenman,
    Are you connected to a central sewer system or a private septic system? My first step would be to open the soil pipe / sewer main cleanout to see if the same odor is present in the lowest portion of your dwv system.

I suggest performing a peppermint test - if there is a leak in your dwv piping it is easier to trace the more pleasant odor trail of peppermint; you can control the amount & timing...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewer smell in basement after showering upstairs [ 13 Answers ]

Hi. Thank you for all the answers you give, but I can't seem to find an answer to my question. The home wh live in is five years old. It was a foreclosure that sat empty from March to October we think. There was a smell in the house, more chemical it seemed then sewer. That smell is still there,...

What can I do about sewer smells in my upstairs bathroom? [ 2 Answers ]

My upstairs bathroom has started to smell like a sewer. There are no leaks and I shut the lid and even stop up the sink, but it still smells.

Sewer smell in upstairs and downstairs bathroom sink when first turn water on. [ 2 Answers ]

I bought a new construction home last November that was on the market for over two years. When you first run water in the morning in both the upstairs and downstairs bathroom sinks a horrible sewer smell comes out of the drain but eventually goes away. The plumber was not able to determine the...

Sewer smell in upstairs room [ 1 Answers ]

When ever either shower is used in upstairs bathrooms (they are side by side rooms), the bedroom next to one of the baths smells of sewer gas (septic tank).Also that area over the room in the attic smells of the gas.Below these bathrooms is the laundry room and the same results happens when the...

Sewer smell in upstairs bathroom [ 2 Answers ]

My house is new construction and is less than 2 years old. I have a guest full bathroom upstairs that is rarely used. I have started noticing strong sewer smells from that bathroom. What are some possible causes of the smell and are there any simple do-it-myself solutions?

View more questions Search