Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lost?? Posts: 234, Reputation: 7

Oct 2, 2015, 08:08 AM
    Overseeding in the fall
    I overseeded my lawn last weekend and wanted to see if there is anything additional I need to do. One section of lawn is overrun with crabgrass and weeds, the remainder is in either good or fair condition, just beat up from the summer. There are a few bare spots as well. Prior to seeding, I mowed to the lowest setting possible and bagged the clippings. I then de-thatched the entire area. I did not aerate due to time constraints. I then spread the seed using a broadcast spreader following the instructions for the seed I used (Scott’s sun/shade mix cool grass). I went heavy on the bare spots. After seeding, I spread a layer of compost, trying to get the whole area but mainly focusing on the problem locations. Finally, I spread Scott’s starter fertilizer (24-25-4) in order to help out the new seeds. Once done, I watered everything. It has been raining pretty steadily the past few days so I haven’t watered myself, but will continue to do so twice a day (early morning and night) until I complete the first few mows. I have not noticed any seeds run off, I tried to cover them completely with the compost. Temperatures have been cooler than normal this week, in the 50s and 60s, but will be back in the 60s and low 70s next week, which is typical this time of year for my location. At this point, other than watering when the rain stops, is there anything else I should be doing in order to increase chances of successful germination? I haven’t had much luck in the past (this past spring), I think mainly due to temperatures being higher than normal and not watering as much as I should have. If there is anything I am missing, please let me know, any input is appreciated. Thanks!
    Oliver2011 Posts: 2,606, Reputation: 746
    Ultra Member

Oct 2, 2015, 09:56 AM
    I know a couple of superintendents of golf courses (Orlando, FL - no surprise there) and I know they aerate before over seeding. You probably could do it after as well. I just don't know what the timing would be, as in how long after.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 2, 2015, 11:58 AM
    No can't aerate after seeding. If I were you I would just leave well enough alone and hold off on the water and hope for some sun to start the germination process. You don't want the seed rotting. Would help to know where you are sort of for better advice!

By the way, aerate by walking around the lawn with my golf shoes on while I am doing other things !

Good luck

Tick

Oct 6, 2015, 08:15 AM
    Thanks for your responses. It had about a half a day of sun on Sunday and a full day yesterday, so I started watering again this morning. I can see the seeds sprouting in several locations now and am hoping for more as the week goes on. On some of the bare spots I no longer see the seed I initially spread, so I'm assuming this was either washed away with all the rain or the birds got to it. I am going to put some more seed out after work tonight and then water again.

Tickle - I am in the Philadelphia, PA area. Thanks.
    Expert

Oct 6, 2015, 08:41 AM
    Birds, yes they are a problem when grass seeding. Put up a small scarecrow ! It's that time of year anyway. I don't think you need any further advice. What you are doing is working !
    Oliver2011 Posts: 2,606, Reputation: 746
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2015, 08:46 AM
    I put a plastic owl to keep ducks from pooping on our boat dock/house. Someone stole the dang thing.

Oct 6, 2015, 10:56 AM
    Thanks, I will try that. Is there anything additional I can try put over the bare spots to protect the seeds? I've read some people use hay but then again I see mixed reviews on that and it could introduce weeds.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 6, 2015, 04:27 PM
    You can aerate any time of the year before, after or during seeding. I use a knife aerator rather than a core aerator. Crab grass is an annual grass, it only grows from seed and lasts one season. You will need to do a preventer early next spring
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Oct 6, 2015, 04:54 PM
    Unles sits just a few small spots... I'd still use straw. I guarantee you that you have weeds now... next season use weed and feed. Don't use it in conjunction with seeding as it will inhibit germination.

Oct 7, 2015, 06:24 AM
    I do have weeds in one section, a small patch that I share with my neighbor. I sprayed it back in April with a selective herbicide and tried to seed in May but our May was usually hot with no rain and even though I watered twice a day, most of what I planted didn't make it... which meant even more weeds took over. They're dying off now though.

Regarding using weed and feed, what would the correct timing next year be? Would I want to use a pre-emergent in say like March and then a crab grass treatment in April? I'm trying to avoid running into the same situation next year. Thanks.
    Expert

Oct 7, 2015, 11:54 AM
    You appear to be a lot like my neighbour who, I swear, would finish off cutting his grass on his knees with scissors !

Oct 7, 2015, 01:23 PM
    Haha sorry, I admit I am a bit obcessed... just trying to get my lawn looking good after years of neglect... I haven't brought out the scissors just yet!
    Expert

Oct 7, 2015, 04:54 PM
    [QUOTE=lost? ;3748154]Haha sorry, I admit I am a bit obcessed... just trying to get my lawn looking good after years of neglect... I haven't brought out the scissors just yet![/QUOTE

I hope you succeed !

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lord I need your anointing to fall to fall down on me [ 3 Answers ]

CHORUS Lord I need Your Anointing To fall To Fall down on me LEAD Lord I need Your Anointing To fall

Do good things really fall apart so better things can fall together? [ 3 Answers ]

Heard this quote the other day that reads "good things fall apart so better things can fall together". This made me think about my current situation, my last relationship was good and after three months of it ending it still hurts that its over, but after finally sticking to NC I know I am doing...

I am looking for the name of a song that has the words, fall down on me fall fall [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking for the name of a song that has the words, Fall down on me Fall Fall Build me up Fall fresh on me

I cannot get anyone to fall for me. [ 76 Answers ]

I have this one big problem. I´m kind of nerdy, and I cannot get a decent girl... It´s really hard, they always send me to hell saying that I´m not cool enough. It might be about how I look. I don´t wear glasses, but I am embarrassed to wear hiphop stuff. So I wear shirts with ties, occasionaly...

When to mow after patching/overseeding? [ 4 Answers ]

Im in the northeast: over seeded ( Iknow I should have done that in fall but I just moved in december) and used scott patchmaster and spot seeded some bare areas about 11-14 days ago... some new grass "shoots" have germinated, but I see many areas that just have seed just lying there... my grass is...

View more questions Search