Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    winky10 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2015, 09:21 AM
    DWV / Cleanout Question
    Extending DWV and need help. I have an old branch that is inadequate for planned usage (2" PVC wye into 4" main). I will be adding a bathroom on this line and need to upgrade to 3". The problem is, there is no room on the main to tie into it goes: Cleanout, 2"Wye at 2 O'clock, butting up to another wye at 12 O'Clock. There is no length of pipe to cut that is not a fitting. Where/how do I tie in?
    Attached Images

massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 30, 2015, 12:21 PM
    Hi Winky

From what I can see here, someone has already connected into an end cleanout and installed that 4"x2" wye with another cleanout, so connecting into the end cleanout that is there now really isn't an option... just in case you were considering it.

If this was my house I see two realistic options:

1) Strip the foam sealant away from the pipe going through the wall and then cut the 4" pipe up tight against the 4"x3" wye...then cut the 3" pipe and you are al set to pipe all this up with plenty of pipe to join onto.

2) Cap the 2" drain pipe and then simply cut into the 3" pipe that is existing. Here, as long as there are two or less toilets on the 3" drain line you can add another bathroom group to the 3" drain pipe. If this is an option you want to consider just make sure you'll have enough pitch for the pipe to get from the main drain to the new bathroom. If you decide this is the option for you let us know and we'll tell you the necessary fitting needed to make the connections.

Finally, you could always ignore my advice and install a new 4" x 3" wye into the end cleanout of the 4" x 2" wye as long as you install another end cleanout. It isn't allowed in my area, but it could be allowed in your area...maybe??

Back to you...

Mark
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 3, 2015, 08:34 AM
    Great catch Mark. Only true professional would notice that add-on. Good to have you on the team !

Milo
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Oct 3, 2015, 08:56 AM
    Thanks, Milo! Back at ya!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement bathroom DWV layout question? [ 2 Answers ]

Below are 2 drawings of my future basement bathroom. I want to know if my DWV layout plan looks good. I have easy access to a 2" vent that runs all the way to the roof so that issue isn't a big problem. ...

Remodel, DWV layout question. [ 5 Answers ]

Hi! I'm going to do a complete remodel of my bathroomand I'm wondering if the layout I've come up with will work. I appreciate any help and insight!! Cameron

Question on DWV Plumbing Design [ 9 Answers ]

I am trying to design the plumbing for a new, upstairs bathroom. My main concern is how the toilet is vented (behind the toilet and upstream from the horizontal drain). I haven't found anything in the vent section of the IPC that prevents it, but just have not seen any examples of anyone doing this...

DWV Question [ 5 Answers ]

I have a old sink drain (it was a double sink but converted to a single bowl in the early 70's). There is a threaded stub sticking out of the wall that connects back to (what appears to be a cast elbow). I've tried penetrating oil to get the stub loose (I want to cap it off back flush with the...

DWV Configuration Question [ 6 Answers ]

Good day all, I hope somebody can offer a quick piece of advice. I had my very first plumbing inspection this morning, and the inspector told me I'd have a problem venting two basement fixtures with the configuration I had. I'm attaching drawings to illustrate. So, he said with what I have...

View more questions Search