Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Plur106 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2015, 12:47 PM
    Early Pregnancy (ultrasound and urgent care)
    I am in the process of getting a new OBGYN, because the receptionist at mine said I couldn't be seen until after 10 weeks. I am currently 6 weeks. I have an ultrasound scheduled at 8 weeks and 2 days. So this is where my question comes in. I had the ultrasound order before I got pregnant, and I told them I was now pregnant when I made the appointment and they told me it wouldn't matter, however the diagnosis was not pregnancy related. My question is will they still look at the baby and let me know how he/she is and if my dates are right? Additionally, I wanted to see my doctor to get paracetamol for headaches (this is my 3rd pregnancy and I had horrible hormone induced headaches with my previous pregnancies and it's the same this time around), will urgent care in US be able to prescribe paracetamol since my doctor won't see me?
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2015, 01:46 PM
    Was the original ultrasound set for an abdominal scan? They won't likely do a diagnostic scan for pregnancy unless it was ordered by your OB. Does your OB know that you already have an ultrasound scheduled for something else? You could always give your OB's office a call and ask about it.

In the US, you do not need a prescription for basic paracetamol. You will find it under the brand name Tylenol in supermarkets. While considered safe for use in pregnancy, always wise to use smallest dosage necessary and for the shortest duration needed.

Sep 28, 2015, 02:44 PM
    Thank you! The original ultrasound is a transvaginal for pelvic pain. I have had an ultrasound for this before and they have always checked my uterus as well, so I am really hoping they can at least get a heart rate for the baby. And Tylenol itself does not help my headaches. I have always had to have paracetamol (the combo with caffeine and barbiturates). I usually take ibuprofen but not during pregnancy. Acetaminophen alone does nothing for me. So I am wondering if an urgent care could prescribe this while I wait on an appointment.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 29, 2015, 12:52 AM
    Paracetamol, acetaminophen, and Tylenol are all the same thing. Why one works for you and the others don't, I am not sure.

As as for the ultrasound. The ultrasound tech performs the particular ultrasound ordered by the doctor, i.e. tansvaginal ultrasound for pelvic pain versus Obstetric ultrasound. They are coded differently, they are charged differently, so insurance pays what they are coded for.

Sep 29, 2015, 01:19 AM
    J_9, I am not sure what the technical word for it is, my doctor always called it paracetamol, but what I need is a combination of acetaminophen, caffeine and barbiturates. I am thinking it is called fioricet. It is the only thing besides ibuprofen that can even take the edge off a headache for me. It is ONLY available with a prescription, so if anyone knows if urgent care can prescribe something, rather than correcting me, I would really appreciate it. I have gotten antibiotics from urgent care while pregnant, but since this is more of a pain reliever, I don't want to waste my time if they cant, but I also get headaches that last for days at a time so I really need something and the receptionist at my OB won't schedule me an appointment. That is all I need to know at this point.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 29, 2015, 01:54 AM
    I believe you are correct in that it is fioricet rather than plain paracetamol/Tylenol. Fioricet is well known to help with headaches, but is a pregnancy Category C. Will an urgent care prescribe it? I can't answer that for your specific urgent care. The one in my area will not prescribe it to pregnant women.

There are risks of miscarriage, poor fetal growth, and severe neonatal withdrawal when taking this medicine while pregnant. The benefits must outweigh the risks for a doctor to prescribe it. Due to the new Neonatal Abstinence Initiative, it needs to be a part of your prenatal records.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pregnancy and ultrasound [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I went for an ultrasound at almost 6 weeks pregnant but all the ob saw was a thick uterine lining and some fluid nothing else.. my last period was 27/8 and I ovulated on the 12th sept had intercourse on the 13th... Is it early to see anything ? Please help I am so worried and scared . Thanks...

Pregnancy ultrasound [ 0 Answers ]

Hi... I am 21+ weeks pregnant... in my level 2 ultrasound they find out choroid plexus cyst in my baby's brain.. My Ips reports were normal but now they have found this cyst and am really stressed out... Is there something to be worried about? They have told me to wait for 4 weeks to get another...

Early ultrasound. Twins? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I know my exact date of ovulation. I got a positive home pregancy test at 8 days post ovulation. At 9 days, my beta HCG was 50. At 13 days, it was 350. I had a pelvic ultrasound at 5 weeks 3 days. Here is a link to my u/s: http://www.flickr.com/photos/76155288@N03/6839220170/ ...

Difference between ER and urgent care? [ 6 Answers ]

I wasn't sure what the most appropriate place for this question would be. So hopefully this is it. This is the third say I've had a fever. With tylenol it stays at about 99.1. once the tylenol wears off its gets up to about 100.2 and I take more tylenol. So it's not too high but it's also not...

View more questions Search