Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yuki 1175 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2015, 06:12 PM
    Cold showers and MTF transgenders is it bad?
    Is it bad for male to female transgender people to take cold showers during or after transition? Reason why I'm asking this is because of one of the many benefits of cold showers may conflict with the treatment of estrogen? But I don't know if it does or not.

Sorry for the copy and paste but it's the only way to fully explain my concern

Increases Hormone Production Cold water showers have the ability to increase hormone production and activity by giving the bodys glands a boost. For example, cold showers can be of great benefit to the reproductive system when trying to conceive a child. A mans testes are not meant to get too hot; thats why they hang outside of a mans body. Sperm counts decrease when the temperature of a mans testes increases. In fact, experiments done in the 1950s showed that hot baths were an effective contraceptive. Men who took a 30 minute hot bath every other day for 3 weeks were infertile for the next six months. More recently, the University of California at San Francisco did a study with men who were exposed to 30 minutes of wet heat (hot baths, saunas and such) a week. When the men cut this exposure out, their sperm count went up by 491%, and their sperms motility improved as well. While switching from a hot to cold shower may not have as dramatic an effect, if youre trying to reproduce, it surely wont hurt. Furthermore, it has been said that cold water therapy helps regulate the endocrine system (including the adrenals and thyroid).
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 28, 2015, 06:39 AM
    While it is always a good idea to discuss any issue with your doctor, but extremely hot water ( more like a hot tub) for long periods have been known to reduce viable sperm. I could see no real relation to the actual hormone levels.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Showers too hot or too cold [ 0 Answers ]

Shower runs to hot or to cold

Hot and Cold Showers [ 2 Answers ]

Can you tell me the pros and cons of taking a hot and then a cold shower or vica versa. Thanks in advance.

Only cold showers [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought a place and for some reason the shower only puts out cold water, while the rest of the house is just fine with getting hot water. What's wrong with my shower? :confused:

No more cold showers! [ 1 Answers ]

My shower has the type of faucet that the more you turn counter clockwise, the hotter the water should get. However, the hot water has stop working in my shower, but works everywhere else in the house, including the sink right next to my shower. If I turn the knob completely counter clockwise, a...

Cold Showers [ 1 Answers ]

We just bought a 41 yr old home. The hot water only lasts for 5 to 7 minutes before it becomes tepid, at best. My husband found out that we have a tankless water heater. Is that our problem or could it be something else. Please help us. Thank you.

View more questions Search