Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SenoritaJill Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2015, 09:52 PM
    Ultrasound says 6 weeks pregnant
    I am so worried sick over this. I do not remember the exact first day of my last period, but I do believe it was aug. 15th. I am sure I had sex with my boyfriend on aug 21st. I was with someone else (not my boyfriend and not someone I want to have a kid with) on aug 31st. The ultrasound technician said that it shows that aug 15th is when I had my last period. She says it measures exact... I wanted to ask her if that means that I am really 6 weeks pregnant, or if she is still going by the LMP as opposed to the actual measurements of how pregnant I am. I forget how many cms she said I am, but the ultrasound picture says 8cm. Am I really 6 weeks pregnant, or am I 4 weeks? Is there any way to find out how many weeks exact I am so that I can count back and make an accurate time for who the father is? This is VERY important to me!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 26, 2015, 10:03 PM
    Yes. Estimates of conception is just that. A educated guess. It uses the date of your last cycle, and average size of fetus. At the very best, the most exact it can be will be give or take one week. It can even be off up to two weeks.

With sex within 10 days of each other. There is no way to know at this point who the father is. You will just have to wait, till the baby is born and do a DNA test.

Sorry, no one can tell you at this point
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 27, 2015, 04:14 AM
    The tech was WRONG. Or you misheard her. Or she wanted to calm your nerves. She can't know when your LMP day was.
    Let's say you wrote down Aug 15. You STILL don't know who the father is.
    The ODDS are that the sperm that met the egg mid-cycle is from the father, but odds are just that - they aren't proof. If you have a typical cycle, and a typical ovulation, that would make the 8/31 sex more likely. BUT sperm can last up to a week before impregnating an egg (most likely would be about 3 days), so that helps the odds for the 8/21 sex. If the ultrasound shows a bigger embryo, then fine, take a deep breath and hope. But nothing will be proof, nothing, until after the baby is born and you can have DNA testing.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Sep 27, 2015, 06:02 AM
    You might be thinking 8mm for baby's measurement. Early on, development is pretty consistent, so accuracy tends to be within several days either way. Ultrasound becomes less accurate at the end of pregnancy, where it can be off by weeks either way.If baby measured 8mm, you are most likely about 6+ weeks.As was said, complete certainty would require DNA testing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

5 weeks pregnant but ultrasound inconclusive? [ 6 Answers ]

I have just returned from an ultrasound scan at the hospital. I found out that I was pregnant last weekend and have decided on a termination, hence why I went for an early scan to make sure that I was definitely pregnant and to get the ball rolling. While I was there, the doctor who scanned me...

Could doctor/ultrasound be wrong? Am I 11 weeks or really 14 weeks pregnant? [ 2 Answers ]

My periods come between the 18th and 20th of the month. I definitely had a period Feb. 18, 2012, I don't remember for sure if I had one in March, and I definitely didn't have one in April. According to online pregnancy calculators if I had my last period Feb. 18 then I conceived around March 3 and...

4 weeks pregnant but nothing showed on ultrasound.scared! [ 22 Answers ]

I recently found out that I was pregnant... (I took 2 pregnancy tests 4 days before my expected period (both positve) 1 -3 days before, and one everyday leading up (I was getting paranoid!) all came back POSITIVE (and I was sure to use different brands just to be sure).. My husband and I are...

4 weeks pregnant and wondering about ultrasound [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: today I went to the doctor and he told me I was 4 weeks pregnant... he did an ultrasound and said he could see the sac but its to soon to see a heartbeat or the baby... just wanted to make sure this is true... I am alil worried about this... please help:confused:

View more questions Search