Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shajaf Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2015, 11:13 PM
    I mistook a thick black pipe for an actual Metal stud
    So I was hanging a TV that was intended to cover a break box. There was a metal stud 18" off the left side of the breaker and what appeared to be another 16" apart from the first and 2" off from the break box. Knowing steel studs can be a bit tough to get through I set the drill to hammer and gradually increased the size of the hole of the true stud at the same rate as the possible stud. At a 1/2" I just couldn't get the bit through and it slipped off to the right side of what turned out to be a black pipe measuring about 3" wide. It is very close to the breaker which makes me think it is most likely a left over pipe or over kill for electrical wire. The pipe is in a second story office and the wall is both for an office and a bathroom. It could obviously be a plumbing pipe but I had no water leakage and why would a water pipe by right against a breaker box? Want to know what the thoughts are in regards to this mysterious pipes intent.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 26, 2015, 12:54 AM
    So now you open the wall up and find out what damage you have done and to what?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 26, 2015, 03:02 AM
    Vent for bathroom? You don't say what's above. Have you looked on the roof.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 26, 2015, 10:15 AM
    As Chuck said, you open the wall to start... see if this is a cast iron pipe (vent/drain), or a black iron pipe (steam heat pipe). You can Google images of cast iron VS black iron pipe to confirm which pipe type.

If this is a vent pipe we may have a couple options for a quick fix.

If the builing is heated by a steam system and this is a steam heat pipe then you have a bit of a problem, 'cause steam pipes can't be patched and expect to have the patch last... just doesn't work.

Back to you...

Mark
    Tieger plumbing Posts: 2, Reputation: 4

Oct 4, 2015, 08:12 AM
    A "black pipe" could be no hub Cast iron or worse a gas line

It could also be steam or hydronic heating or a supply for HVAC cooling and or heating supply / return

Rather then guess I would expose more of the piping to see if the connection (joint) is a no hub or screwed .
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 4, 2015, 03:14 PM
    Is it Plastic or Metal pipe ?

Milo

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pvc pipe and metal pipe cemented- can they be separated [ 2 Answers ]

I am replacing a kitchen sink strainer. A large nut at the top of the drain pipe is frozen and I cannot remove it. It has been suggested that remove the pipe entirely and replace with pvc pipi. Problem is the pipe seems frozen and I am unable to loosen it. May it have been cemented and if so what...

Remove old metal flange attatched to metal pipe [ 1 Answers ]

So I am sure this is classic. I went to replace the toilet and when I loosened the screws that hold the toilet down they just broke into pieces, they were very well rusted. The home is ~45 years old. I pulled the old toilet out and scraped the wax off the flange, there were just some very pointy...

Metal Stud framing for a door [ 3 Answers ]

How do you frame in a door using metal studs?

Installing a base molding to a wall that has metal stud [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I am looking for help on installing base molding, and so far everything I have seen tells you to install the molding to the wall by nailing it to the stud. My question is; what happens if the stud in the wall is metal, would that nail hold securely in the metal stud? If not what...

Metal vs. Wood stud walls [ 2 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I am planning our basement and would like to get anyone's opinion on using metal vs wood to do the framing. Everything I've read indicates that metal is much easier to work with and can be done in a more quick time frame. I also did some research and the costs are identical...

View more questions Search