Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    trncali Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2015, 05:54 PM
    How can I determine how long there's been a leak? Thick black mold inside walls
    There is a leak in the walls and a crack in pipe and found thick black mold. How long has the leak been going on? Months or years? I need to determine how long there's been water leaking into the walls... what clues could I look for?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2015, 06:09 PM
    Why does it matter how long as nobody including you knew it was leaking until recently. (If you are planning on suing someone you have to prove they KNEW about it and did nothing)

Just that the correct repairs need to be done now should be you only concern.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 26, 2015, 03:11 AM
    Wood rot, mineral deposits at the lowest spot of dripping... but various factors go into determining for how long.

I agree that suing is going to be difficult. Not only amount of time gone by, but also how detectable a defect is. An inspector isn't going to rip walls out.
    The whole subject of mold is overblown. Most mold isn't toxic. Most mold is black. Rip it out or bleach it.
    Questionair Posts: 53, Reputation: 4

Oct 8, 2015, 10:16 AM
    I think you will need to get the wood tested to get an approximate response, otherwise focus on fixing it and send the landlord a bill.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2015, 10:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Questionair View Post
    I think you will need to get the wood tested to get an approximate response, otherwise focus on fixing it and send the landlord a bill.
    Where did they mention landlord? If you go ripping up walls as a renter you would open yourself up for a lot of trouble and expense. And as a renter most places... you don't get the choice to get someone to repair it and send a bill to your landlord. You HAVE to call the landlord first. Unless they gave approval to do so in advance (unlikely because they would have preferred people if not themselves do it) a renter would almost certainly be stuck paying the bill without reimbursement.

Based on everything said by the OP. Its likely a house they own, not rent.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 8, 2015, 04:18 PM
    Why?

If you need something exact, like for court, your opinion and your clues mean nothing, and you would need an expert to come in and investigate and give you a written report.

Also other issues of climate, is it in a tropical area? Was there a prior leak, that was fixed and a new leak developed and so on.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mold--how to treat it and can the walls be painted to discourage mold? [ 2 Answers ]

How do your rid cinderblock walls of mold and can you paint walls afterwards to prevent more mold?

Water damage and possible mold behind walls [ 22 Answers ]

The air conditioner in my daughter's bedroom has been dripping water onto the windowsill and this water has then been dripping into the wall space beneath the window. This has been happening over the course of the summer and I have not noticed. The damage was happening behind the furniture. The...

Wet Drywall and Mold in Bathroom Walls [ 4 Answers ]

Renting, so we will not spend ALL our money, however we are fixing the bathroom and have started peeling the latex paint off the enamel undercoat. Moisture is a problem as there is no fan and a very small window. We have areas of two paint layers, others of drywall (some wet) and some of one paint...

How to remove mold stains from Interior walls? [ 5 Answers ]

Manufactured home has mold/ mold stains on wall have sprayed with bleach mixture but stains still appearing on walls. I need help fast, this house is being sold soon, and this is not black mold that is toxic just regular mold

Mold on cinderblock walls [ 8 Answers ]

I have a mold problem on cinderblock walls that I need to fix and would like to take care of it myself. I have to obviously take care of what is happening outside the building so that the moisture doesn't get to the areas that have problems, but what can I do about the inside walls. I have been...

View more questions Search