Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    02748man Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2015, 03:56 PM
    Does a tankless system replace the need for a boiler
    Hi,
    I just came from a home inspection for a new home and it revealed that not only are both 40gal water tanks on their legs but the boiler is from 1989 and in rough shape. We're thinking of going tankless as this is a vacation property to usage is low. However, I'm confused about the components of the system.

Would going tankless allows us to get rid of the boiler or do we need to replace that as well?

It's forced hot air heat and our other house it forced hot water so I'm just wondering if the boiler only heats the water or also plays a role in the HVAC system. Thanks
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 13, 2015, 10:45 PM
    If your boiler is furnishing the hot water for the heating system, then no, a tankless hot water heater will not replace it. The tankless hot water heater will replace the hot water tanks for use in the home water supply.

A issue you may have with tankless, for the water system, could be the piping. The systems need good water volume and flow. If your pipes are badly clogged, they may not allow for enough flow for the unit to properly work. I use tankless in my house, and just replaced it (I think the old could have been fixed, but my wife wanted a new one).
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 14, 2015, 03:19 AM
    If the new purchase has forced air heat coming out of vents in the floor, it doesn't have a boiler, it has a furnace that heats air, not water.
    Furnaces (and boilers) get smaller and smaller and more efficient as the technology gets better.

Two 40 gal hot water heaters were probably for big groups of people on vacation?
    It might be cheaper and most effective to replace one only. When you aren't there, you just turn it off.
    There are other issues with tankless besides the minimum flow to activate the heating element. It can get expensive.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bypass Tankless coil in oil steam boiler [ 0 Answers ]

I've read several different opinions on capping off the tankless coil. I don't want to run in series with the tankless on my smith series 8 boiler. Just bypass it with an electric water heater. We have extremely low electric rates There is a 4007a Aquastat that the thermostat splices into then...

How do I disconnect dom. Hot water from boiler in order to connect a tankless heater? [ 0 Answers ]

Here's my situation. I have an American Standard 'Arcoliner' boiler with the original 'Arcoflame' burner that came with the house that we bought a few years ago. The boiler is original to the house and still runs at about 85% efficiency. The house is heated by hot water baseboard (one zone) off...

Tankless Hot Water System [ 8 Answers ]

We have a Tankless Hot water heating system, in fact we have two units, home is approx 3400 sq.ft. our problem hot wate not hot, we keep getting cool water, then warm to hot, back to cooler water. Showers, start cool, to luke warm to hot back to cool then again back to hot and staying hot rest of...

Shopping for tankless gas boiler [ 7 Answers ]

Hi - I need to replace my cracked NG gas boiler, a Slant/Fin rated at 90,000 BTU (IBR net) which has a listed water capacity of 597.3 sqft. Ideally I would like to install a high efficiency tankless wall-hung direct-vent unit. I have heard that these are available that can provide hot water...

View more questions Search