Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    neldaclendennen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2007, 03:52 PM
    My daughter hates me because I smoke
    My nineteen year old daughter told me she "pretty much hates me" because I smoke. Also, I tried to commit suicide 4 years ago, and she told me she hasn't trusted me since then. How can I make things better between us?
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2007, 04:10 PM
    Family counseling.
    BlakeCory Posts: 236, Reputation: 21

Apr 11, 2007, 04:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by neldaclendennen
    My nineteen year old daughter told me she "pretty much hates me" because I smoke. Also, I tried to commit suicide 4 years ago, and she told me she hasn't trusted me since then. How can I make things better between us?
    Dealing with suicide as a young teenager is very traumatic. Instantly emotional walls go up to protect a person from the grief and pain. Most people do not see their own personal walls but can easily see them in someone else.

From the two sentences above I would guess that smoking only magnifies this fear she has of losing you. Her statement about hating you is a desperate attempt to change what she sees as more self destructive behavior.

Communicate your love to her. Actions will always have a greater impact. Give her heart time to heal, resist being impatient or responding to her feelings in anger.

God Bless
    Matt3046 Posts: 831, Reputation: 128

Apr 11, 2007, 04:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RubyPitbull
    Family counseling.
    Yes run don't walk. There has to be more going on here than meets the eye, find out now what the prob. Is while you can still maybe fix things.
    kellkell Posts: 43, Reputation: 9

Apr 11, 2007, 08:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BlakeCory

From the two sentences above I would guess that smoking only magnifies this fear she has of losing you. Her statement about hating you is a desperate attempt to change what she sees as more self destructive behavior.

I agree

Kids need parents that are there physically and emotionally. When that trust is betrayed you need to work doubly hard to repair the damage. It is worth it in the end but it take time and hard work.

It means not only using the counselling resources that are available but making more effort to communicate especially about the ways that you are making changes. I think that we all learn by repetition; and by verbally reaffirming positive steps and by doing things that she can actively see as an effort on your part will help in repairing your relationship.

Quitting smoking is a way for her to actively see "effort". As an ex smoker I can tell you that it is an achievable goal, one that will have an extra bonus for your situation because, to your daughter, it might show her that you care for her opinion and are invested into just, well... life.

Good luck
    wonderwoman2007 Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

May 13, 2007, 02:02 PM
    Um here's a thought:

Stop smoking and don't try to kill yourself
    MicheleEB Posts: 58, Reputation: 4

May 14, 2007, 10:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderwoman2007
    um here's a thought:

stop smoking and dont try to kill yourself

Haha! Well said.

Well I agree, Family counseling is one thing, but you have to actually do the things that the counselor requests of you. And sometimes it will seem silly. But DO IT. And don't try the whole "Ive tried to quit smoking" bit. Been there done that. One day I said enough trying no more pills or smoke free products, yada yada yada, I asked myself what was more important, I threw away my cigarettes and haven't touched one since and that has been nearly a year. (By the way I smoked for 15 years) If I can do it anyone can do it.

A dear friend of mine once said "suicide is selfish" because you may not feel any pain anymore but everyone around you feels even more pain.
    markevansgroup Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2009, 02:02 AM

Ask her if there is anything you can do to rectify things. Listen to her. Try to follow her advice. Ask for forgiveness and be forgiving. She doesn't really hate you. She is concerned, she is angry because of the heartbreak.
    If you quit smoking, pay close attention to your diet and fluid intake.
    Give yourself a break when it comes to improvements. That is, make them. You need the break from patterns of the past. Don't expect too much but do not settle for failure.
    Think positive. Speak positive. You will get positive results.
    Time will help.
    And yes, address the core issues that made you unhappy with life at that time, if you haven't already. If you have dealt with it, then focus on making your life more full and if you daughter can't come on board now, she might later. What matters is that you work through this and take care of yourself. That, after all, is what she was after in the first place. Respect that. Respect yourself, and you will be fine. Find the time to help others. Sometimes this adds more to our lives than we ever thought.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My Daughter hates me! [ 16 Answers ]

I have been living with my Mom since the birth of my daughter (who's now 20 months). Her Dad left for a job abroad when she was only 6 months old. She has become very attached to my Mom (her granny), and doesn't want to leave her even for a sec. Moreover we have a whole army of servants and...

I think she hates me [ 3 Answers ]

I was at my g/f's birthday party about a week ago. Her best friend and I are pretty good friends. At the party, I was a little tired because I had only gotten 3 hours of sleep the night before, plus it was a particularly boring party... Anyway, my g/f's friend thinks I am going to break up with...

My mother hates me [ 19 Answers ]

I really need to talk to someone no matter what I do it is never good enough for my mother. I love her very much but we cannot get along at all, I really would love to have a relationship to where we could be friends. I am 30 yrs. Old I have been married for almost 14 years.my father was a acholic...

My mother hates me [ 23 Answers ]

I am 27 years old and I need to know how to let my mother know that she is ruining me, emotionally and every other way possible. She has hated me most of my life, she flat out said it a couple years ago and told me the next time I tried to take my own life to do it right. Now that I have finally...

View more questions Search