Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Oldbill Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2015, 09:12 PM
    Connecting metric shower mixer to old imperial spindle (female)
    I am installing a shower cubicle for my mother. The new shower mixer has 15mm connectors. The plumbing I want to connect to Is 1/2 inch female for old spindle taps. This must come up all the time, but I can find no appropriate product (metric to imperial hex nipple, adaptor, or a connector with imperial on one end and metric on the other). Can you point me in the right direction. Thanks.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 14, 2015, 09:09 PM
    You are not saying where you are located - but in the US, every plumbing store will sell conversion fittings - usually in brass.

FYI: Pipe sizes are universal across the board. Some countries prefer to list them in "mm" and US and UK use inches. We install foreign-made stall showers all the time and never had problem with connecting them.

15mm is 5/8". 1/2" is 12 mm. Half inch pipe is 5/8" OD ( or 15mm ). Is it copper, galvanized or plastic pipe you are dealing with?

As far as threads go, you want to make sure you keep thread type consistent ( Iron Pipe vs Compression type thread )

The 15mm you have mentioned - is it Outside Diameter or Inside Diameter ?

Back to you

Milo
    Oldbill Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2015, 09:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Milo Dolezal View Post
    You are not saying where you are located - but in the US, every plumbing store will sell conversion fittings - usually in brass.

FYI: Pipe sizes are universal across the board. Some countries prefer to list them in "mm" and US and UK use inches. We install foreign-made stall showers all the time and never had problem with connecting them.

15mm is 5/8". 1/2" is 12 mm. Half inch pipe is 5/8" OD ( or 15mm ). Is it copper, galvanized or plastic pipe you are dealing with?

As far as threads go, you want to make sure you keep thread type consistent ( Iron Pipe vs Compression type thread )

The 15mm you have mentioned - is it Outside Diameter or Inside Diameter ?

Back to you

Milo
    Thanks Milo. I am in Australia. I did eventually find the right brass adaptors. Here they are only available in trade supply stores, not your average hardware store.

Anyway, problem solved!
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 14, 2015, 09:56 PM
    Great ! Glad you found the connectors !

Good luck with your project !

Milo

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower mixer leaking shower water behind wall [ 2 Answers ]

How do I prevent shower water from leaking behind the mixer?

Temptrol shower valve hard to turn after replacing spindle [ 3 Answers ]

Temptrol shower valve hard to turn after replacing spindle

Changing drawing standards from metric to imperial [ 0 Answers ]

Hi, I normally do all my drawings in metric in AutoCad 2013, But I've benn requested to do a drawing imperial, How do I change my drawing standards to enalbe me to to do this and be able to revert back to metric standards after wards?

Symmons shower diverter spindle [ 0 Answers ]

Hi,I have just replaced my Symmons shower diverter spindle again(TA-25A)because of a leak and now have a new problem. I have to replace this diverter spindle every year or so because the plastic on the end by the o-ring cracks and it leaks water down through the first floor ceiling.The problem now...

View more questions Search