Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dslacker Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2015, 01:34 PM
    ETG
    Hi Dr. Bill,

I last drank on Saturday night. The period of drinking was 8pm-1am. I had ~6 beers and (4) 100 proof shots.

I am 6'3", 195 lbs.

If I take an ETG test (limit is 500mg/mL) on Wednesday at 4pm, what are the chances that I will pass?

I drank about a gallon of water on Sunday, and plan on doing the same on Monday-Wed. Plus, I have been drinking cranberry juice, and exercising on the treadmill for ~45 minutes each day.

Thanks!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 31, 2015, 01:42 PM
    Dr. Bill no longer posts here or on any other site.

It sounds like, if you continue to drink all that liquid, you'll fail for dilution.
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2015, 01:57 PM
    Yeah, a gallon a day is pretty excessive... unless that cardio is REALLY taking it out of you. You can probably cut it down to 1/2 - 3/4 of a gallon and still be fine. ETG can only pick up alcohol up to (at most) 80 hours. You should be fine.
    dslacker Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2015, 02:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DrJ View Post
    Yeah, a gallon a day is pretty excessive... unless that cardio is REALLY taking it out of you. You can probably cut it down to 1/2 - 3/4 of a gallon and still be fine. ETG can only pick up alcohol up to (at most) 80 hours. You should be fine.
    Thank you for your response!

Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Dr. Bill no longer posts here or on any other site.

It sounds like, if you continue to drink all that liquid, you'll fail for dilution.
    Thanks for your response... it is appreciated.
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Sep 1, 2015, 07:33 AM
    FALSE!

Drinking that much will over hydrate the body which will lead to dilution of the urine. Dilution of the urine is also a failure for two reasons, the first is that they can't conclusively give a answer and that it is also a sign of a guilty conscience. IE, you drank, as you did, and you're trying to hide the fact and cheat the test. So doing anything that is going to get the EtG/EtS out of your system is going to doom you to fail. The best advice is to carry on as if you hadn't drank and give a honest sample.

The tests are rated to be accurate for up to 60-80 hours. You'll be at 88 ish at that point so you shouldn't test positive. The gotchas here are that everyone processes alcohol at different rates and eliminates EtG/EtS at different rates. While there is a standard bell curve that most people fall into, there are the outliers that will pass every test regardless of the time frame or fail completely a week after consumption. There isn't enough information that can be given to say that anyone will pass.

The best advice is to realize that you've signed on for enforced sobriety and no drink. It isn't easy but it's legally binding and bad things happen if you're caught. The best way not to get caught is not to engage in any activity that could cause you to get caught. There are many programs out there that will help with this and you only need to stay in them and stay sober for the length of your agreement. You need to take a look at your life and figure out what you have to lose if are caught and if that and the stress is worth the drinking. Follow the rules or try and cheat them. Your choice.
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

Sep 1, 2015, 02:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CravenMorhead View Post
    FALSE!
    Maybe we have two different definitions of FALSE. Usually that word means something is inaccurate... but your follow up basically reaffirmed everything I said.
    Luck0rN0t Posts: 263, Reputation: 45

Sep 1, 2015, 10:13 PM
    I believe Craven is suggesting that even 1/2 - 3/4 of a gallon of water is still likely to too much and that
    Drinking that much will over hydrate the body which will lead to dilution of the urine.
    I know that drinking that much water would make me fail for dilution, for sure.
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Sep 2, 2015, 08:02 AM
    Maybe we have two different definitions of FALSE. Usually that word means something is inaccurate... but your follow up basically reaffirmed everything I said.
    Drinking 2L, let alone 3L (1/2 -3/4 gallow) of water will still fail for dilution. He's going to be drinking that in addition to what he normally drinks, pop, coffee, juice, etc. That additional amount of water will fail him.

So.. yea. You're wrong.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

EtG [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I was just wondering if I started drinking on Friday the 15th around 7:00 pm and ended Saturday the 16th around 1:20 am could I pass an ETG test today on March 25th? I took it around 3:30 this afternoon. I drank lots of shots of vodka and Vegas bombs. I haven't drank anything (alcohol)...

EtG [ 5 Answers ]

Can I pass in 60 hrs after consuming a total of 25 beer in less 62 hrs 5 1 female 130 pounds test tues 6 00

DrBill100 - EtG really so overhyped? Now baffled: lab says 3 drinks=20-24hrs. EtG? [ 7 Answers ]

Dr.Bill, I have been researching both the validity and dangers of false positives and negatives of this test as it is used for criminal, employment, and child custody reasons. In addition to the variant cut-offs, incidental exposures, etc. I am flabbergasted by the amount of conflicting info out...

Does the saliva swab ETG alcohol test show back to 80 hours like the Urine ETG test ? [ 2 Answers ]

I heard when it's the oral swab it only tests back 12 to 24 hours for alcohol anyone know?

EtG [ 0 Answers ]

I learned that I might be called in for an ETG test on this Wednesday afternoon. I had the equiv of 10-12 beers this past Wednesday between 3 and 9 pm. Was feeling pretty tipsy but was definitely sober by Thu afternoon around 2 pm, but probably earlier, but lets say 2 pm just to be safe. I also had...

View more questions Search