Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    susan0 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2015, 04:00 PM
    My golden gags?
    Advice needed. My golden has had the gag reflex since she was 6 months. At one point we had her scoped and the vet said enlarged tonsils. Since then, we put her on antibiotics whenever she starts to gag and that seems to work. She is on antibiotics a lot but does eat whatever she can get her teeth on.

Please do not respond if you write take your dog to the vet. Any helpful, having had this experience is what I am interested in reading.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 30, 2015, 04:13 PM
    What do you mean she can eat whenever she gets her 'teeth on'.

We would not write "take your dog to the vet' if you have already stated your dog has been there, but how much are the constant antibiotics costing you if only one vet has diagnosed?

Enlarged tonsils appears to be a good diagnosis, but what are the antibiotics supposed to do ? Are her enlarged tonsils because of infection?

What exactly do you want us to say, maybe a second opinion would be a good start.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 1, 2015, 07:38 PM
    Why doesn't the vet remove the tonsils instead of constantly pouring antibiotics down her throat?

Now I can't say for sure that this is sound advice, no one on this site is a vet, and even if someone has the same experience as you do, their experience with their dog will always be different, because each dog, like each human, is different.

I'd ask about removing the tonsils. If it can be done for humans with constant issues, why not dogs? That should fix the problem, imo.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

"my dog coughs and gags and has Diarrhea we are on vacation what should I do" [ 2 Answers ]

"my dog coughs and gags and has Diarrhea we are on vacation what should I do"

My dog Gags, licks the floor and paces back and froth. Why does she do this? [ 5 Answers ]

Sometimes my dog will get in thes gagging spells and when she does she paces back and foth, licks the floor and gags but nothing comes up. She eats and drinks just fine, the first time this happened she was throwing up so I brought her the to vet and they did an x-ray on her stomach and she was...

Golden showers [ 5 Answers ]

Is it OK to recieave them with out any problems

New Golden [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, my boyfriend and I are getting a new golden retriever puppy in the next couple weeks. The breeder said that we can come and get her anytime after she is 7 weeks old. I have heard that taking a puppy from its mother in the 7th week can be bad. Should we wait until 8 weeks or is it okay to...

Golden not eating [ 3 Answers ]

I have a golden retriever which is 8 months old and he had an healthy appetite. He is barely eating from a week. His food intake has fallen down from quarter of what he used to eat. Right from when he was 2 months old I used to give him dry food mixed with little wet food because he is used to be...

View more questions Search