Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shg1624 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2007, 01:17 PM
    Converstion to Judaism
    How long does the conversion process to judaism taken by a reformed rabbi take?
    Tanderson Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2007, 10:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shg1624
    That depends on lots of things. Mostly who you study with, your determination and what priority this is going to take in your life. I've known some who took 1 year, others that took 4 or more. Personally, I wouldn't go by how long mine took, there were Rabbi changes, 3 times. So I almost started over, and it wasn't always the highest priority, like when my sister-in-law had twins at 24 weeks gestation. Anyway, find a congregation you feel comfortable with, go to services for a while to figure that out. Then make an appointment with that Rabbi, and ask them all your questions, including this one. They will be the one that determines the length of time for you.
    Good luck!
    amyswrite Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2007, 10:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shg1624
    Its like baking a cake, anyone can get in without a in depth understanding and depending on how "reform" they are it could be days or weeks.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 28, 2007, 10:57 AM
    Rabbis do not view conversion lightly in any denomination. Judiasm as a religion does not solicit nor encourage converts. This makes the conversion process more intensive. I doubt if any rabbi would do it in days or weeks.

Why not ask the rabbi though?
    amyswrite Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2007, 11:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Rabbis do not view conversion lightly in any denomination. Judiasm as a religion does not solicit nor encourage converts. This makes the conversion process more intensive. I doubt if any rabbi would do it in days or weeks.

Why not ask the rabbi though?
    Actually some do, I know a number of Reform Rabbi's who let you convert Online, believe it or not. I am not saying they are the norm, I hope not! But They are out there I have found it and read it with my own two eyes. ;)
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Jul 19, 2007, 05:45 PM
    Any rabbi whether Reform or Orthodox is supposed to make sure the desired conversion candidate is genuine. Some peoples genuine conversion take as little as a year and others take longer... much longer. In the old days traditionally rabbis would turn down a candidate as many as three times before recognizing their true desire for conversion.

Bobby

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Islam and Judaism [ 60 Answers ]

Peace and love to everyone I want to understand the difference between Islam and Judaism, there roots between the children of Abraham, who is the founder of all 3 faiths (Judaism, Chriostianity and Islam) to one God Almighty, and the Ka'Baa.. Can someone explain what Isaac and Jacob have to...

Assignment on Judaism [ 2 Answers ]

I do not know if I submitted the question that I asked properly, so I will resubmitted it. The question is that I need information about the History of Key Sacred Texts? This is an assignment to create a PowerPoint Presentation geared towards a younger person (9-14) about Judaism. There is more if...

The Koran and Judaism [ 8 Answers ]

Hezbollah leader, Nasrallah states that the Koran says that if Muslim people kill Jewish people, they will get 7 virgins and go to heaven. Im almost sure there is nothing like this in the Koran. Can you please verify this for me? Thanks a lot

Judaism [ 1 Answers ]

Where can I find information concerning the History of Key Sacred Texts of Judaism?and how would I teach this information to a younger person between the ages of 9-14?

View more questions Search