Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thereisnohello Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2015, 01:05 PM
    How to transfer car from someone who died?
    A friend bought a car for me under his name and I was making the loan payments. I am not a co-signer or anywhere on any document. He went back to his native country for treatment for an illness but died there several months ago. An issue came up recently and they are not accepting my loan payments but I can't clear them up since I am not the account holder. Would like to transfer the car to my name but I have bad credit and no idea how to do so. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 24, 2015, 01:24 PM
    It's not your car, so you can't simply have the title transferred to you. The car is now part of your friend's estate, and property in the estate should be distributed by the executor of the estate in accordance with your friends will, if he had one. If he had no will then property transfers to heirs in accordance with state law, which most likely means ownership of the car will be transferred to his spouse, or children, or parents, or siblings. One possible way out would be for you to make an offer to the executor to purchase the car from the estate, but that would be appropriate only if you paid fair market value for the car.
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

Aug 24, 2015, 01:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    It's not your car, so you can't simply have the title transferred to you. The car is now part of your friend's estate, and property in the estate should be distributed by the executor of the estate in accordance with your friends will, if he had one. If he had no will then property transfers to heirs in accordance with state law, which most likely means ownership of the car will be transferred to his spouse, or children, or parents, or siblings. One possible way out would be for you to make an offer to the executor to purchase the car from the estate, but that would be appropriate only if you paid fair market value for the car.
    Wouldn't this person also be able to file a claim against the estate? If they have proof of payments on said vehicle?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 24, 2015, 02:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by catonsville View Post
    Wouldn't this person also be able to file a claim against the estate? If they have proof of payments on said vehicle?
    Perhaps, though it's not clear what documents he might have that prove the arrangement or his friend's intent to transfer ownership upon his death. And I bet before this gets too far the loan company will likely reposess the car, given that they haven't accepted his payments.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Aug 24, 2015, 03:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    It's not your car, so you can't simply have the title transferred to you. The car is now part of your friend's estate, and property in the estate should be distributed by the executor of the estate .... One possible way out would be for you to make an offer to the executor to purchase the car from the estate, ...
    Yes, but I'm betting that a probate estate hasn't been established for the OP's departed friend. Somebody would have to apply to court for that to happen; it isn't automatic. And, furthermore, if he decedent wasn't domiciled in a US state, it might be appropriate that the probate happen in his homeland.

I would start by asking the loan company what, at the minimum they need. I'm thinking a death certificate, and affidavit that OP had an agreement with the decedent (as described), and that there is no PR.
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

Aug 24, 2015, 05:11 PM
    It is kind of weird that the loan company, if they were accepting payments from the OP, why would they walk away from the money? Not enough facts so far.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 24, 2015, 05:40 PM
    I suspect the OP was paying her friend, not directly to the lender. Either that or maybe the estate was processed and the executor contacted the lender.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car died [ 4 Answers ]

I woke up and car was dead, I jumped it and let I run for acouple min, I drove it acouple blocks from my house and car died when I pushed my breaks, my radio went off right before my car died, I jumped it again to drive it back home. I replaced my alternator, car drove fine for 2 days and every...

Car died while driving. [ 4 Answers ]

I had been driving about 15 minutes, when it just shut down. I tried restarting, but it wouldn't start, and looked like smoke was coming out. I had it towed to a dealer near my home. After 2 days, they can't find anything wrong with it. No codes come up on their diagnostic computer. They started it...

Car died while driving [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2003 Chrysler Concorde... my car dies out while driving. It doesn't give any warning the steering wheel becomes time and the engine and oil light comes on. I was wondering if this could be a catalytic converter problem. I have replace the cam and the crank sensor. However, Chrysler...

Pop and the car died [ 2 Answers ]

On my home today the engine light came on 2 seconds later a pop, the engine died, the engine light went out and the car won't start. All lights still work but when you turn the key nothing happens, not even trying to turn over. Any sugestions? 2000 neon 2.8 standard.

My father died recently and my mother wants to transfer accounts into my name [ 3 Answers ]

My father passed away very unexpectedly and without warning 2 months ago. Now that the shock has finally subsided I'm feeling overwhelmed and I'm afraid that I'll make a mistake that will cause future problems. My father was retired and had various bank accounts and mutual funds which...

View more questions Search